The Ruthless Monkey On My Back | Teen Ink

The Ruthless Monkey On My Back

I get so enthralled into the concept and process of becoming detached from certain people that have exceedingly affected you. For instance, moving on from an ex-boyfriend. There's still those constant and unfortunate reminders you come across. Like their name on a street sign, their picture on your news feed. Eventually, after rationalizing your whole relationship, you "move on". There's a similar concept with that old best friend you promised you'd keep in touch with.

Personally, with all of the old friends I have on social networks, I frequently come across the pictures or statuses of their lives, and for a whole minute, I tend to become saddened. And in that state of mind, my main thought is "why aren't I apart of their lives anymore?". Of course, I return back to the reality that it's inevitable that I'm not in their lives anymore. I've come to the obvious conclusion that it's not meant to be. I did get to have that inspiring presence in their life just as they had a inspiring presence in mine. My realization after mourning past relationships is this: it's for the best if you're just happy for them no matter how difficult it may be. Although this person holds so many memories with you, move on.

Go ahead and sulk into the comfort of sweets and romantic movies and slow music for now, but sooner or later, maybe you'll come to the same realization that I have. Or maybe, you're entirely different from me, and you already have.

Honestly, this is the form of acceptance that I'm unfamiliar with. The whole "letting go" situation. The small sense of encouragement I could give anybody is that you'll come across a colossal amount of of people in your life. There's the people who are going to stay because they're meant to and there's the people who leave because they have a different path in life to embark. Be grateful for the friends that stay, and additionally be grateful for the friends who leave.

After being on Facebook, I came across an ex-boyfriend and old friends, and a whole mess of feelings surfaced. Here's my thoughts towards this personally sensitive subject.