Feedback to Learning to Love by Callie Storie | Teen Ink

Feedback to Learning to Love by Callie Storie

By Joyce Xu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Joyce Xu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I was touched deeply by Callie Storie’s personal article, “Learning to Love”. Her anecdote told the story of the lesson she learned from the tragic death of her father. In her writing, she mentions that being a southern girl, she grew up as Daddy’s Girl. Even though I now live in the city, I understand the close relationship between her and her father. My father is still alive, but I understand how heartbreaking it would be if I lost him. Callie writes about the many powerful lessons her father taught her that shaped the person she is today. I can relate to this because without my father, I wouldn’t be able to deal with many of the problems I am attacked with.

In Callie’s story, she writes about the slow and painful feeling of watching her father lie on his deathbed. She mourned over his death and couldn’t imagine life without him. However, her perspective changes and she realizes the true lesson she learned that resonated from her father’s passing. She realizes that she has been thinking too small and that everything he taught her were truly special.His strong love for her was able to teach her how to love.

Hopefully, this never happens to me because I don’t understand how I can live without my loving and supportive father. I admire that Callie was able to find brightness through the darkness she felt. She was able to find the true lesson that her father’s death brought. Callie grew stronger and her thoughts on life changed. “You never know how much someone has impacted you until they were gone,” she writes. I love this quote because it shows how special and impactful a person can be to a person and that people don’t realize this until they are forced to.