Best Friend

I've never been anybody's best friend. I've never been the person that anyone brags about. Tells stories about. Can spend endless time with. I've never had anyone call me their best friend.

And if that's so, have I ever had a best friend? Not really. Someone that I can tell anything to without worrying about being judged. Someone who I can call up about anything, no matter how stupid, and know they'll be there to listen. Someone who can comfort me just by being there. Someone who I trust completely, 100%, with both my secrets and to stay by my side. I've never had any of that.

They always say that true friends are the ones you can leave and come back to without anything changing between you. But I think that's a coward's way out. A true friend wouldn't want to be without your friendship for any amount of time, no matter how short or long. If you can go back to a friendship after a month, a season, a year without interacting, that's a friendship of convenience. Not a true friendship.

I am good at being on my own, I really am. But sometimes it's nice to have other people too.

I know what it's like to be forgotten. Left out. Ignored. It's my turn to feel loved.