A Real Friend | Teen Ink

A Real Friend

A friend doesn’t lie. A true friend always tells you the truth. A real friend is with you in thick and thin. In my English class we’ve been reading a book called Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. The book is revolves around the life of a kid named Amir. He has a slave to whom he calls his best friend is named Hassan. Amir isn’t the best of friend’s out there but Hassan is.

The ideal friend is a person you know well and regard with affection and trust. In the book “He always knew when to say the right thing” Amir said this about Hassan. Hassan was always there for Amir. Another good quote is “…the way he’d stood up for me all those times in the past.”(77) Hassan will always stand up for Amir whenever he was in trouble.

The not ideal friend lies to you. They never help you through your problems. They don’t try to cheer you up when you are sad. In the book “I ran because I was a coward.”(77) Amir ran away when Assef (neighborhood bully) had Hassan in the end of a dark alley sexually harassing him. Amir let Hassan get beat up, when Hassan would always stand up for Amir. Another quote is “I hurled the pomegranate at him” (92) Amir purposely threw a pomegranate at Hassan. Amir would at times bully Hassan himself, but Hassan was always a good friend to Amir all the time.

The ideal friend should always been with you when you are ill. They should always be with you when you are sad. They should give you advice when you are having problems. Advice friends should give is the following: never give up and always keep your head up. In my friendships I would like to see me and my friends to be more honest with each other. I have learned that to be a true friend you have to do everything you can to help out your friend.