I'm single, I know it, I'm proud | Teen Ink

I'm single, I know it, I'm proud

By Its.Ella.Inspired BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other
Its.Ella.Inspired BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other

"Being brave isn't in never being afraid, it is in having fears but still willing to push them aside to carry on fighting"
"If they can't handle you at your worst, they don't deserve to see you at your best"

I’m single, I know it, I’m proud
There will always be a time when everyone seems to magically have a significant other while you stay solo. It’s kind of like some weird quirk of fate.
Seeing all the couples around you while you stand alone can be...what’s the word? Oh yeah. Depressing. Lonely. And kind of makes you feel like no one wants you.
Obviously that’s human nature.
Being someone special to someone else does a lot for a person’s ego, and it makes you feel wanted and needed.
Again. It’s human nature.
But it’s not so bad flying solo...
~Single because God is still writing my love story~
~Single because the best things happen for those who wait~
~Single because love takes time and I’m willing to let it~
~Single because I wanna be~
When you’re single...
You don’t have to worry about looking good
Constantly tugging on clothes, fidgeting with hair and freaking out over suddenly appearing facial blemishes? No thanks.
You look good because you want to. Because it makes you feel good.
Not because you have to impress someone. Not because you’re afraid that your significant other is going to look elsewhere. Not because you don’t want your significant other to look down on you for being a slob. None of that insecurity crap.
Because the only person you have to please is yourself.

You don’t have to answer to anyone
With paranoid parents/guardians who needs someone else to report to?
When you’re single you don’t have to constantly check in with your parole officer, you just live.
Obviously you still have the parental to worry about, but hey, sixteen years in the making and you’re kind of use to it by now.

You don’t have to worry about awkward silences
Being in a relationship means a lot of time together to get to know one another and will there be an awkward silence every now and again...? Uh duh.
Because you’re trying to keep your significant other interested, you’ll always want to be charming and witty and have things to say. Awkward silences are not part of the agenda.
Of course if you’re single you don’t have to worry about this.
Obviously there will be the occasional quiet during conversation with a friend or acquaintance, but there’s no pressure, it’s easy to get past it.

You don’t have to know anyone you don’t want to know
Unfortunately gaining a significant other will result in baggage. No. Not emotional, physical or physiological baggage but...the carry-ons.
Their friends will always be a part of the deal, how big a role they play depends on the person.
To impress the significant other, you’ve got to win not only them, but their friends. And that can be tough because sometimes they aren’t willing to know you as a person, just “That guy/girl that likes my friend”.
When you’re single, you know people because you want to know them, not because they’re part of the boyfriend/girlfriend package so there’s no pressure to gain their acceptance.

You act the way you want to act
When you’re with your friends, you’re crazy, insane to the extreme, occasionally dirty-minded and just a wee bit gross.
You say the weirdest things.
You do the weirdest things.
And every one of your friends agrees on it (but it helps that they act the same way too).
So how will your significant other feel about it?
Well obviously you want them to like you for you, but being comfortable around that person could take some time. They could be easily scared away by your state of sanity, lack thereof. They could be sensitive to your quirky habits. They could possibly not appreciate the jokes you tend to crack.
But when you’re single do you have to worry about this?
Not really.
If people can’t handle the way you are, you move along.
The same can’t be said for a guy/girl you’ve been eying for a long time.

You don’t have to watch how you behave
When you’re single you don’t have to constantly think about whether you should hold hands or kiss or hug mainly because you’re worried about acting too clingy or because you’re unsure.
The same can be said about your significant other.
Maybe he/she is a bit too touchy-feely. Or maybe they don’t acknowledge you enough.
When you’re single, you don’t have to worry about either.

It’s not just look and don’t touch
When you’re single you aren’t suddenly restricted from catching someone’s eye. Whether that person is just eye candy or a person you flirt with from time to time just for fun.
You don’t have to worry about cheating because you aren’t taken, so you’re free to do what you want.
You don’t have to worry about people labelling you because again, you aren’t taken so no one really has a hold on you.

Being in a relationship requires work, trust and commitment. It’s like friendship with more rules.
Being in a relationship costs time, involves an introduction to a few dramas and puts your heart on the line as well.
Being single is easier and is much more preferred if you don’t want to go through all the commitment and insecurity crap.
Besides being single means less stress, more ‘YOU’ time and allows you to do what you want without having to look over your shoulder to make sure your significant other is okay with what you’re doing and with whom
After all single does stand for:
(S) tress
(I) s
(N)ow
(G) one
(L) ife is
(E)asier

Written in November 2011 on my blogspot

Mothra7687 BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

"Don't try to live your life in one day." - Howard Jones

I like this article. I agree that being single just lets people get to know you for the real you. Isn't that what really matters in your childhood?