What will happen to love? | Teen Ink

What will happen to love?

By PeterL. BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
PeterL. BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

All humans need love. Love is the light that gives hope, motivation, and comfort through life. Did anyone know marriage has a 50% chance of failure here in the U.S. though? America has completely tarnished the meaning of love, relationships, and marriage. America is destroying the significance of love and relationships because events in Las Vegas, the media’s representation of love, and marriage having such a huge chance of failure in America.

America is destroying the significance of love and relationships because of events in Las Vegas. In all of their, clubs, shows, etc., women are shown as “objects” and not as a significant person. This makes people think that women are just pawns that they can easily throw away. Another thing that people do in Las Vegas is those ridiculous, cheap, $5 dollar, so called “weddings”. Marriage is supposed to be an everlasting bond and yet they have these meaningless marriages. Also in these marriage places, they even let people who are drunk out of their mind get married. If they can barely even stand and talk, then what makes these people think that they could make a rational decision on marriage? Why would they marry people like that? Las Vegas definitely needs to change this.

How the media represents love is how America is destroying the significance of love and relationships. In a ton of TV shows, relationships are only good for sex and nothing else at all. Relationships are supposed to actually have some deep meaning to them. Yet they are shown as little to meaningless. Also the media shows that money is what everyone should look for in somebody; although, relationships are theoretically deep. Money may be somewhat important, but is being rich really going to help someone truly find love in their life? Even in some TV shows they show divorce as not a bad thing like in “Happily Divorced”. News and media have a huge influence on people and they have certainly used it to bring down the ethics of love and relationships.

America is destroying the significance of love and relationships because marriage is having such a huge chance of failure in America. Half of all marriages here fail; marriages aren't very eternal here. Just getting married is already set-up to fail. That already sets up another marriage that will end soon and adding on to the number of failed marriages. Relationships have an even bigger chance of failure then that. This just shows that marriage and relationships can be tossed around like it is worthless. This doesn't just affect the present; this affects the future. Children of divorced parents have a higher chance of divorce. Journal of Marriage and the Family state, "Children of divorce have a higher risk of divorce when they marry , and an even higher risk if the person they marry comes from a divorced home. One study found that when the wife alone had experienced a parental divorce, her odds of divorce increased to 59 percent. When both spouses experienced parental divorce, the odds of divorce nearly tripled to 189 percent ". Marriage being an “eternal” bond has died out here. This has killed our faith in love, relationships, and marriage. This percentage isn’t getting smaller at all. The percentage is still increasing! How long will it take until all of these fail?

America is destroying the significance of love and relationships because events in Las Vegas the media’s representation of love, and marriage having such a huge chance of failure in America. As everyone can see love, relationships, and marriage are become negligent. What can everyone do to change this? People really need to start to think before they make these decisions.