What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

July 26, 2011
By moskow21 SILVER, Orange, Virginia
moskow21 SILVER, Orange, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

A friend of mine posted the following on facebook:
"Anger, lust, passion, and hate; they're all a part of love. Along with kindness, loyalty, redemption and forgiveness. Feeling every emotion so forcefully that you think your insides are going to break, as if you're going to explode."

Here is my response:
Love is not lust. Lust is sinful-- a physical obsession. Love looks at the heart, love is more than skin deep. Anger, unless it is a righteous anger, is not an expression of love, which is always patient, always kind, slow to anger and forgiving. Hate is the opposite of love, hate is the absence of love. You hate that which you do not, cannot love. Not to mention, anger and hate cannot go hand in hand with kindness and redemption and forgiveness.

Love, true love, fills you up so much that it over flows into everything and everyone around you. Love is like oxygen. you can't contain it, you can't live without it, you just keep breathing, it's natural and wonderful. Love doesn't make your heart swell or expand, it just keeps getting deeper and fuller... Just when you think you can't love someone any more, you wake up the next day and MIRACLE you love them 10 times as much as before. There is no limit, no way to contain love.

Love, real love, is not entwined with hate and anger and lust... rather, it is the same sort of love that Christ showed us. It is unconditional.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." -1 Corinthians 13: 4-7


The author's comments:
I might be young, I might be merely a child in the eyes of some, but I say to you now, I know love. True love. And I'll shout it to the world... I AM IN LOVE. <3