Oldest vs Youngest

Many advantages and disadvantages come from being the oldest child in the family, but most say there are more disadvantages. From asking classmates and friends, the first reaction is that it is harder to live as the first child than as the third. Some of the less heard reasons are “you’ll die first!” and “you get my old iPod while I get the new one!” but here are the more common ones.

There are a couple of advantages to being older, but usually these reasons are not applicable to children. Older siblings tend to be more responsible in their later years, as well as being very book-smart. In the later years, they are likely to be independent and self-sufficient. They never get hand-me-downs from others and they are the first to drive, move-out, and pay taxes! They are more inclined to be independent during their adulthood compared to their younger counterparts.

As well as advantages, there are also disadvantages to being older. The most common is that the older children are parents’ “guinea pigs” and the parents use experiences with the first child to parent the younger ones. The new methods of parenting are tested upon them, and as a result the younger child gets a “better” parent. Blame is often placed on the elder ones for not being a role model, and more pressure and expectations are placed upon them to succeed. They have to fight and reason to get something they want, but their eight year old little sister gets a cell-phone because she felt like having one. If you are younger you can always ask for help, but if you are the oldest, whom do you turn to?

Being older among others has many pros and cons. As an older child, I would say that it is harder to be older than younger, but a younger child may disagree completely. They may say that they never get the good tech that their older brother has, but I can promise they will get those items in the future. In my opinion, the best way to go is to have twins!

TheBadSun said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm:
Well im the youngest of 3 and honestly I dont agree nor disagree with you. Being the yoingest does have its perks. Youre parents are usually worn out with parenting by the time they get to you. But it has its flaw. Youll die last which means u have a possibility of loosing all ur family members and going last. Youre parents bexome super over protective of you when ur siblings have left and ure the only one they have left to care for which means ure under tighbt survailance. And have to do everyt... (more »)

KayKay:-) said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm:
I'm oldest. I have gotten hand-me-downs from cousins, though. I am a guinea pig! My mom will make me check out all these high schools for my brother, even though I am going to my regular town's high school anyways! And now she wants to send me to a private school to see what it's like, but NO WAY am I wearing a uniform!

HisPurePrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:31 am:
my sister Robbie is the baby of the family, though she's 11 and she does get spoiled!  i'm jealous of her sometimes, but if i had the chance to trade places, i'd stay as the oldest.  i get the best love, because i'm the firstborn, so i'll get the most.  hehe

booknerd said...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:45 am:
I'm the oldest sibling in my family too and I completely agree. You hit all the points perfectly! Great job! Will you check out my opinion essay? It's on book banning but I really need comments and ratings. Keep up the good work! =)