Relationships and Us | Teen Ink

Relationships and Us

By K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you want, but you can only spend it once."

Relationships are a major part of anyone's life. though they are not always good, they can have a extraordinary impact on someone's life. Some people are in the kind of relationship that seems almost too good to be true, and others are in a relationship that feels like you are almost certain that certain disaster will come of it and that you are scared of the other person. In an average relationship there are two categories that you could fall into. The reacher and the settler. The reacher is someone who would do anything to date someone of a higher social or monetary class. this is most commonly seen among high school students who have been outcasts or neglected from social events such as dances, stuco reps, etc. Then there are the Settlers who settle for a lower class individual to go out with due to a multitude of reasons from trying to be modest to feeling sorry for the reacher and his/her determined attempts to try to go out with a higher class individual. Settlers are usually the less dominant individual and generally does what the reacher wants them to so as to make the reacher feel as if he/she is in power. Most people don't like to admit that they are either one but that is the general format of most relationships that I have observed in my community and other areas that I have recently visited. There are only a few instances that I have seen a reacher with a reacher and a settler with a settler but those are few.

on Aug. 31 2011 at 11:25 am
JuliaGraceS BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington

"God's grace is for today and not tomorrow. If you try to get ahead of it you will be exhausted."

This is a very interesting piece! I like how you divide people into two different groups: reacher and settler. I think with a little more revising, this article could be really great. You have a few sentences you could inprove (your thesis and closing statement), and few repetitive words. If you clean those up I think it will read much smoother. But overall, good job! :)

leafy said...
on Aug. 31 2011 at 9:24 am
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

So in this, there were a lot of errors, but spelling and grammatical, and no paragraphs or data to support your opinion, and its a bit confusing.And I just don't agree it, I've seen those type of people just about as much as any other type, even less. I won't go into the specific reasons why don't agree with this, because that isn't the point of this point, but basically what I'm saying is that you need to work on yourmpieces a bit more before you submit them, it seems like a rough draft to me. I know, that sounds really harsh, but it's just my feedback.

on Aug. 30 2011 at 3:29 pm
ChocoMint SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time." - Anonymous

"Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear." - Anonymous

I really liked it.  I caught just a couple of grammar mistakes though.  You said "certain" twice in the same sentence and there were a few capitalization mistakes.  Oh, this is just a personal opinion of a reader, but when you used "him/her" frequently, it ruined the flow a little bit. I would suggest using the neutral word "them" and so on.  Other than that, it was good.  Keep it up.  =+)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 2:17 pm
Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

this is interesting and different! i don't think many would observe something like thing! it orginial which i like! good job! :)

Megan.J.B said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 9:05 am
Megan.J.B, Sault Ste Marie, Other

"Here's the real truth. There are eight million people in this city. And those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. You, me? We're exceptional."
- Green Goblin. :)

This was interesting to read as I have never heard anything like this before, although I can't say that I agree with you. I do have a few points to make though:

1) The piece was rife with grammatical and spelling errors.

2) You stated your opinion far too strongly; almost as if it was fact, without as much as statistical data or thorough explanation.

3) The length was odd, and there were no discernable paragraphs.

Keep up the work, but this is rough. I would like to hear more of your opinion on this if you cleaned it up and polished it off. :)

on Aug. 21 2011 at 2:12 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

You have an interesting point of view. It was a pretty good article, but you could definitely work on some errors in grammar, etc. I'm not sure I completely agree with you, but I've never really thought about it before. Pretty good article though. :)

on Aug. 20 2011 at 8:16 pm
Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois

Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

Please read your story out loud next time. If the word that comes after "a" starts with a vowel then "a" changes to "an." You NEED more Ethos, Pathos, and Logos. 

As a journalist, I think this is too short as an opinion. 

on Aug. 20 2011 at 2:38 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Okay, I have a lot of criticism.

1.  Work on your grammar.  You need to capitalize some words and use commas way more often.  Some of your sentences are awkward as well.

2.  Back up your assertions.  Have you really never seen love?  Are there only 'reachers' and 'settlers'?  Of course not.  So try to find statistics or facts (if there even are any) that back up your opinions.

3.  Break up your work into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

on Aug. 20 2011 at 2:35 pm
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I'm not sure that I completely agree with you. While sometimes that is true.  But I think that a majority of the it's actually love.  There were a few grammer errors.  Keep writing.

K-Lewy BRONZE said...
on Dec. 7 2010 at 1:10 pm
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

Thank you for your input

on Dec. 1 2010 at 12:29 pm
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

oh..................well, thank you

K-Lewy BRONZE said...
on Dec. 1 2010 at 8:20 am
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

As a matter of fact I have not been mildly infatuated or even had the tiniest inkling of  crush with anyone. I have not asked these people their life story but I have taken the time to to observe these people carefully and have concluded that 78% is the mean average of the 14 relationships that I have observed. Most people resent my point of view but you are entitled to your own opinion and i respect that you resent me and even somewhat like that you have your own opinion and I also observed that people did in fact have somwhat and in some cases fully happy relationships and im not saying that they dont happen im just saying that these relationships do happen and are common. of course my observation was merely a glimpse into the known world and you are right. with that I must leave and you may reply as you freely wish to.  

on Nov. 19 2010 at 2:49 pm

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

um....................what??

reacher, settler? Category?

What you have mistaken, Kevin, is that while you've been writing this, have you thought very closely about what your writing about? LOVE is what your writing about, when you say all this. LOVE.

LOVE is a deep emotion. It cant be categorized. You cant just go up to someone and ask "are you a settler or a reacher?" It doesnt work that way. Some people have strong feelings for others NOT from sympathy or cause they were neglected or whatever. Maybe it has NOTHING to do with social standing (shocker) but the way someone makes you feel, the urge to be with someone else, how you would put someone else before you for love, cause that person knows just how to make you smile. Maybe people like each other for that reason. Or chemistry, for instance. CHEMISTRY CAN APPLY TO ANYONE IT IS NOT CHOSEN.

when you were observing these people, did you know any of them? Did they tell you their life story?

LOVE ISNT LOGIC, AND IT ISNT SCIENCE TO BE CATEROGORIZED.

Havent you ever had a huge (or even small) crush on someone? How did you feel?

K-Lewy BRONZE said...
on Nov. 6 2010 at 6:46 pm
K-Lewy BRONZE, Lost Springs, Kansas

I shall take your advisements into consideration but if you look closer at my article it said that those are relationships that I observed and i also mentioned that there are successful relationships and that a good portion of relationships are about this format. But this is only 1 point of view and i resect that you have another and i will take this into consideration if i write another relationship article. Feel free to visit my other articles as well, as i shall be writing more  and have already written one about television and bullying.

lnvo97 GOLD said...
on Nov. 6 2010 at 2:34 pm
lnvo97 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:44

this is a very one one pointed view of a relationship. if you notice even further between some couples that there are true feelings between what you call "Settlers" and "Reachers". i believe you need to take a closer look at the perfect IT couple and all other couples before you even make up your mind. but other than that, good article.  :D