A Love Like That

I'm a girl and though I hate to admit it, I'm one of those girls who will watch a movie or tv show or read a book, and then wish that that romance would one day be mine.

But then again, I'm not a normal girl. I don't want a love like "Pride and Prejudice" or "The Notebook"; I've never fawned over Mr. Darcy; I don't want a love from Jane Austin or Nicolas Sparks or any other romance author's mind.

I want a love like Cory and Topanga:

I want my first and only love to be my best friend; Someone I've known since I was two; I want, no matter how many mistakes we make or how many times we stupidly break up, I want us always to find a way back into each other's arms. I want us to go through real problems. Not like the "problems" in Taylor Swift's lyrics. I want us to go through real issues, but always make it to the other side. I want to be loved for how weird I am and not for my looks. I want a love like Cory and Topanga.

I want a love like Jack and Sue:

A sweet love filled with denial, although everyone knows the truth. A bond so close that it would seem we are brother and sister. A love so deep, that we would rather choose to remain friends, than risk losing what we already have. A love that, for once, realizes that true love is not getting what you want, but allowing the one you love to have what they want, even when that isn't you. I want a love like Jack and Sue.

I want a love like:

Tony and Ziva

Morgan and Garcia

Phil and Keely

Romeo and Juliet

Lizzie and Gordo

Joe and Stella

Hester and Tom

I want a love like Logan and Quinn:

That would probably be the last couple on anyone's list, but they're number one on mine. This is the relationship I fell in-love with first and am still in-love with. Who wouldn't want to spend all your time looking for the perfect guy, only to wake up one day and discover, the one who is meant for you is the last person you'd ever expect? I want to walk through life, thinking everything's great, only to have my world shaken and fall into my one true love's arms. To be the couple that no expected to ever get together, let alone work; To have your flaws ironed out by that one person; To have the things that once drove you crazy about that person, be the same things that make you love that person. I want a love like Logan and Quinn.

I don't want the love all girl's want. I don't want Snow White, or Sleeping Beauty. I don't want Prince Charming or a knight in shining armor. I want something real. And I know, none of the loves I mentioned are real, but they're closer than many of the loves girls wish for. I don't want to be Cinderella. I want to be Topanga. I don't want Mr. Darcy. I want Logan.

My true love may not be magical. It will most likely be filled with ups and downs. But it will be real. No fairy tale for me. I'm not a princess and will not marry a prince. I'm not a slave girl, awaiting rescue from the knight. There won't be happy ending.

Because my love will be real. My love will be true. And I know that true love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love doesn't have an ending. My love will come when I least expect it. Or maybe my true love is already in my life and the eyes to my heart are simply waiting to be opened, I don't know. But one day, my true love will come.

And it won't be how Snow White meets Prince Charming. It will be that boy that used to pick on me when I was seven...or maybe that kid I used to despise because he was so annoying...or maybe it will be one of my best friends or a guy I consider a brother. I don't know who he'll be or what he'll look like, but he will come and he will be my one true love. My one REAL love.

A love like:

Tony and Ziva

Morgan and Garcia

Phil and Keely

Romeo and Juliet

Lizzie and Gordo

Joe and Stella

Hester and Tom

Logan and Quinn

Jack and Sue

Cory and Topanga

A real love.

Yeah. I want a love like that.

Night_Shade203 said...
This is so completely and wonderfully true. Well written, down to earth and yet still romantic. Keep writing.

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:14 am
Thank you so much!

KatsCool said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:59 am
I love that! Its totally true! 

BlackHoleHighAlumni This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 10:51 am
Thank you so much!! :)

conversegirl23 said...
I just really like it.

BlackHoleHighAlum This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 4, 2010 at 9:25 am
Thank you so much!! :D

ELM522 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 9:37 am
And I miss Zoey 101!

Jul. 18, 2010 at 9:36 am
Joe and Stella! Lol! I'm sad they're "Just Friends!"

not anymore lol

Jul. 18, 2010 at 9:35 am
Read Airhead by Meg Cabot! OMG! You'll love Em and Christopher! I love this piece!

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanx! And thanx for "favorite"ing this!!

ELM522 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 8:14 am
It's just really good!

Jul. 19, 2010 at 8:27 am
Haha, well, thanx! :)

Unwritten said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 11:06 am
ha love this! really great. I never ever thought about it like this but i will now cept I think I am more of that knight in shining armour ;)

lol thanx for the comment!

BulletProofKid8942 said...
As a guy, I think this was beautifully put. Keep writing, and hope you find your real love. Good luck!

Well, thank you very much :)

And I think it's pretty cool that a guy liked this! thanks!

kateyt23 said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 10:34 am
Well written but all the same, my opinion is that if somebody set standards to as high a level, they should settle for no less. I personally adore Edward Cullen from the twilight saga. My friend is always telling me to grow up and that he is totally unrealistic. But what I love so much about him is his undying devotion to Bella. The way he'd do anything to protect her and anything for her. That is the standard I set and I dont call it unrealistic because to me a lad should have them qualities

Um, thank you...I think :/