How to make long distance relationships work | Teen Ink

How to make long distance relationships work

March 26, 2010
By JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments

So you're done with school. Now it's time to get into a college. Luck has it and you and your boyfriend are in two different corners of the country. Most couples here decide to discontinue their relationship because they can't see each other for a while. In spite of the love they have for each other, they part ways to lead their respective lives. They move on or ‘try to’. But their love is always there. Securely held within their heart. No matter who they date, they will never be able to give the kind of love that they had given in their past relationship.



According to me, it is utter gibberish that long distance relationships can't work. I say they can. If you truly love someone and want to stay with them forever, it is totally wrong on your part to break up just because you can't meet.
So here are the ways to maintain a long distance relationship-


1. Trust your guy/girl

Its essential that you have complete faith in their words and believe that they will not see anyone behind your back. Now, how much you trust your beloved depends entirely on how healthy your relationship is and how much you love them and vice versa.

2. Express your doubts

If you have any queries or are feeling insecure about anything, talk to them and share with them your thoughts. This is vital because they need to know how you feel about certain things and will hence discuss the issue with you and try their level best to keep you from getting anxious.

3. Allot time for talking

Now that we're all gizmo freaks, we all have ways and means of talking to each other. Talk to you guy/girl and make sure that you set aside some time to talk to each other. Use your cell phones. Or you always have Skype and other Messengers where you can see each other too!

4. Keep them informed

Distances can often make people nervous. They might want to know all about you. Every single information is important to them. So please don’t get irritated with their constant pestering ( if you call it so). They are just concerned about you coz you are the world for them and every minute thing counts. So tell them every single thing and don’t hide stuff. Answer all their questions. The more you hesitate to answer them, the more suspicious and distant they become. So let them know. NO harm done in telling them right? After all, there are no secrets in love!
5. Meet each other

Occasionally, or probably when on a vacation, try to take some time off your schedule and spend some time with them. Give them a surprise visit. Hang out at some cozy restaurant or at either of your houses if you aren’t the kind who holds hand in public. It would really cheer them up to see you after dealing with so much pressure in college.

6. Keep their friend’s numbers

This is necessary as incase you have any thing urgent to tell them, you can contact their friends and they will pass it on. It’s also helpful when you’re away for their birthday or valentines day as you can plan up with their friends and get them some gift on your behalf.









All this will definitely help in keeping your relationship as strong as ever.



What say?


The author's comments:
Iv'e seen a lot of people split due to the distance factor. But I strongly believe that long distance relationships do work, if you want them to. Feel free to share your views about it :)

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 35 comments.


Pink Lady said...
on May. 2 2011 at 11:00 am

Im 17 and i live like maybe 6 states away from my boyfriend. Yes, we met in an online chat messanger thingy. We talk all day and all night. I love him to death and like what kinda scares me that i think i will never get to see him in person. i mean there is always the summer but the gas prices went up and i dont want that to stop our relationship. i mean when i get out of school i plan to move close to where he is but idk. my mom says that i dont love him bc hes 18. he complains that i talk to him on the phone all day.

I have no idea how this is going to happen but maybe i guess someday it will. me and him have came close to have 1 fight so far. which that is pretty good for a long distance relationship.  What do you think i should do bout this situation and how do i tell my mom?


on Apr. 28 2011 at 7:48 am
LittleCountry SILVER, St. Pete, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is a gift, it is to be treasured." By me!!

You really nice and you give lots of feedback kate. That;s cool, i wanta talk about somethin

on Apr. 28 2011 at 7:46 am
LittleCountry SILVER, St. Pete, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is a gift, it is to be treasured." By me!!

If you love someone then you should feel confident she'll forgive you, and you should do whatever it takes to do that and make her happy again. But!! think carefully, alot of people think they know what love is, but it's not the way they think. So be sure you really love her and tell her that your sorry and explain how you feel!! Hope this helps!!:)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 6:05 am
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments
Maybe you should try talking to her about your fears.. Are you a bit worried she might see someone else if she meets him often? If she truly loves you, no one else will catch her eye. Try talking to her sweetly and keep tabs on what she's doing. Girls often feel that guys aren't very concerned about their life... Show her that you do care about what she's upto.. that will help ease things out

on Apr. 25 2011 at 6:03 am
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments
He has joined the military? Well that is a good thing in a way... And I totally understand your situation. For you to not fall apart, I would really suggest you to stay calm, try to help him ease his stress out... Even if he tries to pick fights, take it easy.. Say sorry even if you know its not your fault... If you really love him, then it shouldn't matter who's apologizing first... he will apologize too... Keep talking as much as you can.. He has a responsibility there.. Be there for him and let him know you're always with him in every decision he takes..

on Apr. 25 2011 at 5:59 am
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Hey, 

   Girls are always known to have a soft corner. They tend to forgive a lot more that guys do. Even if you've hurt her in the past, she will forgive you as long as you are ready to make amends. And if she is right for you, then distance shouldn't matter much. Try talking  to her as often as you can. June is 2 months away. 2 months is hardly a bargain compared to a lifetime of happiness with her right? 

Letting her know you love her is good. But don't leave the decision to her that way. Try to tell her what she means to you and how much you need her. Cos, for all she knows, you probably think she needs you more and she might be reluctant to make the first move..

 

Hope that helps :)


JasonG. said...
on Apr. 6 2011 at 10:05 am
JasonG., Otto, Wyoming
0 articles 1 photo 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
why work against the system when its easier to work with the system. -unknown

im 17 and right now im across the state from my gf, and things are really tough right now because i was stupid and took her love for granted. and i messed up big time, i let her know that i love her and that i will always care about her. but its hard when im this far away and cant go see her because im stuck until june 11. i really care about her and want to be with her forever. she is my dream girl, but its hurts me so much because i know that ive hurt her.

on Dec. 4 2010 at 10:27 pm
See I'm 16 .I met My BF online actually. We Met ONCE and My mom Loved him,But he just joined the military and things seem hard now and I LOVE him to death..we seem to aruge a bit Now,how can I keep Us from spreading apart?

Phoenix said...
on Nov. 21 2010 at 11:15 pm
Me and my gf are very far apart, I'm in a state that is detached from the rest of the country and dhe is somewhat far inland. Though we do call often and text literally everyday i feel that this might not work out much longer. It scares me and i don't think i can go without her...

on Apr. 12 2010 at 10:59 pm
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments
absolutely true rolly... you just need to believe that you can work it out....  Believe in your love... Like they say, Love conquers all !

rolly30 said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 5:33 pm
hey alyssa!!its true that distance kills but where there is awill there is a way,, if ur boyfriend wants to be in touch nothng in dis world cn stop . so ntng is complex friend.juss be +ve. if u thnk u can stay connected u will,mark my words..

on Apr. 9 2010 at 11:48 pm
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments
Thank you Rosie  :)

on Apr. 9 2010 at 11:47 pm
JadedSoul SILVER, Evans, Georgia
9 articles 0 photos 37 comments
I guess except the meeting part, everything else can be worked out.. Right??

Mango19 SILVER said...
on Apr. 9 2010 at 11:10 am
Mango19 SILVER, Secunderabad, Other
5 articles 2 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If Winter comes , can Spring be far behind ?"
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going"

ur right :).. helpful suggestions !

on Apr. 8 2010 at 12:49 pm
army_alyssa BRONZE, Wyoming, Michigan
2 articles 7 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
You've never felt pain, until you've felt love.

see, me and my boyfriend aren't going away to college. hes joining the marines. hes leaving soon. so i cant really connect with him so easily. some relationships are long distance but very complex like mine.