The Definition of Love | Teen Ink

The Definition of Love

By panicback BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois
panicback BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois

"You may know what you need, but to get what you want, better see that you keep what you have." -Into the Woods.

I am in love. There I said it, I am in love. What does that mean though? The term "love" is used very loosely. When I went to dictionary.com and looked up the word love, what I found made me laugh. One definition said "a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend." The definition right below that read "sexual passion or desire." But I think there is something to this. it means that there are many different kinds of love, and they cannot be compared. My definition of love fits all types of love:

Love: [luhv] noun. the feeling of wanting to sacrifice part of yourself for something of someone.

That is love. And When I say I am in love, I mean I will sacrifice my life, mind, body, and sole, for my girl. I already have.

The girl that I am talking about in this piece is not a girlfriend. I don't even have a crush on her. She is my sister... or I call her my sister anyway. I've known her my entire life, she is the person that is keeping me alive.