How to Read Body Language | Teen Ink

How to Read Body Language

When you’re in middle school it isn’t that easy to tell when someone likes you, because everyone is so influenced by friends and making a reputation for them. When you like someone you act differently around them even if you’re trying not to. You subconsciously try and get them to see you. So sometimes if you want to see if they like you, you’ve just got to read what they do… Here’s how.

How close are they standing to you? If they are close it means that they are more comfortable around you, whereas the farther away they are, the less they care.

The tilting of their head can mean a lot. When a person tilts their head and smiles it usually means that they’re flirting. If they tilt their head and don’t smile it means that they sympathies with what you say or feel.

When the person lowers their head it can mean they are hiding something, but be careful it can also mean that they are just having a bad day. If you compliment someone and they lower their heads they are probably shy, ashamed, in disbelief, or thinking to themselves. Maybe they are just shy around you…

Have you ever been talking to someone and they keep looking around? Well that can mean that they are most likely thinking of something or someone other than you and what you’re saying. Sorry. ? If someone is interested in what you have to say their pupils are usually wide.

They say “The eyes are the window to the soul,” and if you know what to look for you can see their innermost secrets. Wide eyes mean interest, and small unfocused eyes that are looking down and/or away mean that they are probably hiding something.

Being able to be a human lie detector is a very useful skill. See liars will look at you and away over and over. Some liars, in an attempt to make you actually believe them will too much eye contact.

When a person crosses their arms they may be closing themselves to influence or just want to be left alone. If your friend does this you do not want to annoy or bug them. This means that the person is really just wanting to e alone other than that they just don’t like their shirt and are trying to hide it.

If someone’s arms are open either at their sides, behind they’re back or in a relaxed position they are more open to talk about something. If a guy’s hands are in their pockets or something it means that they are the likely to like you.

Do you get nervous around the person you like? I do. Nervous gestures are one of the most obvious ways of showing your affection for someone, but they are impossible to stop. Flipping or fixing of the hair is a very common way of showing nervousness. Girls play with they’re jewelry also to show how much they like someone. If they tap their feet it either means that they are flirting or else are impatient.

When you are standing up legs are very helpful in decoding someone’s body language. When you are relaxed, your legs are spread about shoulder-width apart. Much wider and they are showing confidence and that they are in control. A shy person may cross their legs like a little kid who’s got to go to the bathroom.
This is pretty much the same for when you are sitting down.
Now you can tell if your secret crush is your secret admirer. ?

I wrote this for our school paper!

Theress said...
Wondetfully creative!

Wow. Great advice. I have got to say that you know body language all too well. Love your writing.

vamika_s PLATINUM, Gaborone, Other

"Colour my life with the chaos of trouble"

Thank you so much!

houston SILVER said...
on Dec. 24 2014 at 11:18 am
houston SILVER, Joburg, Other

I don't know about life, there is too much to it...

i had the same, 'crossing my legs, smiling' reaction with my teacher! don't laugh!:D loved it!

Sarah Zigler said...
Thanks for this Article now I sure what is my daughter really want. 

hollie123 said...
really good piece of writing, one spelling mistake!! (missed out the b of be) :) otherwise great piece of work

i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

this is so true when i think of everything i do and everything other people do. really good article!

xKeli826x BRONZE, Middletown, New York
1 article 1 photo 57 comments
ahh. I really liked this one! I noticed as I read it that I do a lot of this stuff myself like flipping my hair and playing with my jewelry. haha. I gotta start to look to see if people around me are doing this stuff too. Good Work! Keep writting!:D

Akiza BRONZE said...
Akiza BRONZE, Stoughton, Massachusetts

Who you are now is something amazing to the world.

Wow, this article actually made me think of what the guy does and what i do somethimes. Thanks!

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great job! This is very well-written and was a joy to read. I love it! Great job! :)

Countrylife4 GOLD, Maine

"Someday soon we're gonna catch that dream we've been chasing"
"Seven days without a horse makes one weak."
"The worst part of riding is when you dismount."

Insult my clothes, I say, “Okay, thanks for the compliment.”
Insult the way I look, I say, “Thanks for notifying me.”
Mock me and say riding isn’t a sport, and I’ll say,”You say that ’cause you can’t ride.” But before you make fun of my horse, make sure you have “911″ on your speed dial.

I think that helped a lot!  Keep Writing! :)

on Oct. 8 2011 at 9:53 am
Autumn5100 PLATINUM, Islamabad, Other

All good things must come to an end.

Lol, I think almost every teen Googles "How to tell if he likes me" or "Reading Body Language" in their life :P

I think this was amazing :P

StephanieY BRONZE, Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
i will test this on monday!!!!!!

hope he does!! good luck!!!

haley3 BRONZE said...
haley3 BRONZE, Michigan
Good article but i disagree with one thing when im around my crush my eyes arent focused on him when were talking they wonder because im nervous

amandapanda27 BRONZE, Hiram, Ohio

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Can I say something?? Like "I Love You for posting this" and "Thank you soo very much"?? Haha.(: Seriously, though. This helps a lot. I'm in High School and I really like this guy who's a year older than me and I think he likes me, but I'm not 100% sure. This helps a lot, and so far, it sounds like he really does. I hope he does. I really do. Thank youu! :D

ama1013 BRONZE said...
ama1013 BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
lol that was helpful and i liked the way you told almost every action! Thanx :)

Howahkan said...
on Feb. 8 2011 at 11:40 am
Howahkan, Litchfield, Michigan

"everyone will hurt you, you just got to find the ones worth suffering for"

i liked your opinion on bbody language, although i have to disagree with a few minor things.everyday whether im tired ,or sad or even happy,whether im interested in a conversation or completley bored my pupils of my eyes are always huge.they never go down unlesss i just wake up,but then they always become big within five minutes of waking up,thats just me.it doesnt mean anything.and also whether im shy or comfortable or whatever the such i always sit in the same way.and stand in the same way also.again thats just me.it doesnt mean anything.

elisabethphoenix GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

proverbs 31:30 :D

it helps if youre in high school and talking to another high schooler...but college guys? not really haha

on Nov. 12 2010 at 8:06 am
Ashley142 SILVER, Elmira, New York

"If life is so fare why do roses have thorns"

Oh,my gdo. that was great now i can tell if he likes me or not because its very confusing. Thanx!! =)