How to Read Body Language

By , Tucson, AZ
When you’re in middle school it isn’t that easy to tell when someone likes you, because everyone is so influenced by friends and making a reputation for them. When you like someone you act differently around them even if you’re trying not to. You subconsciously try and get them to see you. So sometimes if you want to see if they like you, you’ve just got to read what they do… Here’s how.

How close are they standing to you? If they are close it means that they are more comfortable around you, whereas the farther away they are, the less they care.

The tilting of their head can mean a lot. When a person tilts their head and smiles it usually means that they’re flirting. If they tilt their head and don’t smile it means that they sympathies with what you say or feel.

When the person lowers their head it can mean they are hiding something, but be careful it can also mean that they are just having a bad day. If you compliment someone and they lower their heads they are probably shy, ashamed, in disbelief, or thinking to themselves. Maybe they are just shy around you…

Have you ever been talking to someone and they keep looking around? Well that can mean that they are most likely thinking of something or someone other than you and what you’re saying. Sorry. ? If someone is interested in what you have to say their pupils are usually wide.

They say “The eyes are the window to the soul,” and if you know what to look for you can see their innermost secrets. Wide eyes mean interest, and small unfocused eyes that are looking down and/or away mean that they are probably hiding something.

Being able to be a human lie detector is a very useful skill. See liars will look at you and away over and over. Some liars, in an attempt to make you actually believe them will too much eye contact.

When a person crosses their arms they may be closing themselves to influence or just want to be left alone. If your friend does this you do not want to annoy or bug them. This means that the person is really just wanting to e alone other than that they just don’t like their shirt and are trying to hide it.

If someone’s arms are open either at their sides, behind they’re back or in a relaxed position they are more open to talk about something. If a guy’s hands are in their pockets or something it means that they are the likely to like you.

Do you get nervous around the person you like? I do. Nervous gestures are one of the most obvious ways of showing your affection for someone, but they are impossible to stop. Flipping or fixing of the hair is a very common way of showing nervousness. Girls play with they’re jewelry also to show how much they like someone. If they tap their feet it either means that they are flirting or else are impatient.

When you are standing up legs are very helpful in decoding someone’s body language. When you are relaxed, your legs are spread about shoulder-width apart. Much wider and they are showing confidence and that they are in control. A shy person may cross their legs like a little kid who’s got to go to the bathroom.
This is pretty much the same for when you are sitting down.
Now you can tell if your secret crush is your secret admirer. ?

houstonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:18 am
i had the same, 'crossing my legs, smiling' reaction with my teacher! don't laugh!:D loved it!

Sarah Zigler said...
May 3 at 6:00 pm
Thanks for this Article now I sure what is my daughter really want. 

hollie123 said...
really good piece of writing, one spelling mistake!! (missed out the b of be) :) otherwise great piece of work

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is so true when i think of everything i do and everything other people do. really good article!

Keli123 said...
ahh. I really liked this one! I noticed as I read it that I do a lot of this stuff myself like flipping my hair and playing with my jewelry. haha. I gotta start to look to see if people around me are doing this stuff too. Good Work! Keep writting!:D

Akiza said...
Wow, this article actually made me think of what the guy does and what i do somethimes. Thanks!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job! This is very well-written and was a joy to read. I love it! Great job! :)

Countrylife4 said...
I think that helped a lot!  Keep Writing! :)

Mooky.Capulet said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

Lol, I think almost every teen Googles "How to tell if he likes me" or "Reading Body Language" in their life :P

I think this was amazing :P

StephanieY said...
i will test this on monday!!!!!!

haley3 said...
Good article but i disagree with one thing when im around my crush my eyes arent focused on him when were talking they wonder because im nervous

ama1013 said...
lol that was helpful and i liked the way you told almost every action! Thanx :)

amandapanda27 replied...
Can I say something?? Like "I Love You for posting this" and "Thank you soo very much"?? Haha.(: Seriously, though. This helps a lot. I'm in High School and I really like this guy who's a year older than me and I think he likes me, but I'm not 100% sure. This helps a lot, and so far, it sounds like he really does. I hope he does. I really do. Thank youu! :D

StephanieY replied...
hope he does!! good luck!!!

Howahkan said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:40 am

i liked your opinion on bbody language, although i have to disagree with a few minor things.everyday whether im tired ,or sad or even happy,whether im interested in a conversation or completley bored my pupils of my eyes are always huge.they never go down unlesss i just wake up,but then they always become big within five minutes of waking up,thats just me.it doesnt mean anything.and also whether im shy or comfortable or whatever the such i always sit in the same way.and stand in the same way ... (more »)

elisabethphoenix said...
it helps if youre in high school and talking to another high schooler...but college guys? not really haha

Ashley142 said...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 8:06 am
Oh,my gdo. that was great now i can tell if he likes me or not because its very confusing. Thanx!! =)

pokerface said...
thankx that was really helpful. now ill be able to tell

summerps1234 said...
thxs now i will be able to tell if he likes me!

BasketballChick5 said...
I liked this keep writting!