First, let's work on you

Dear friends:

First, I’ve noticed that many teenagers feel like they have to be dating someone to be happy. Maybe its for personal satisfaction, or just to be able to say they’re with someone or for the slime balls out there…maybe its just to get “some”. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I’ve only seen a few couples that are together, where both parties are with each other simply because they enjoy each others company. I also think its ridiculous, to say “I love you” after dating someone for two weeks. If not for any other reason, it takes credit away from the couples who have had to work at their relationship. Under no circumstances, do I believe in love at first sight. It takes conversation, dedication, and more importantly it takes time. Something I’ve learned is love and pain go hand and hand, and you can’t fully experience one without the other. Here’s my suggestion, don’t claim to love someone, until you know exactly what makes them, THEM.

Second, why do some guys feel the need to say things they don’t and never meant? It can be the smallest comments, but sometimes those are what make the biggest impacts. For example, “I don’t care what movie we see, as long as I’m with you.” Or “baby, you’re the only one for me” or my favorite, “I’m with you for you, nothing else matters” I’ve heard these lines so much that now when I hear them, my ears automatically translate them into “bullcrap, bullcrap, BULLCRAP!” Here’s my suggestion, don’t’ say what you don’t mean, because someday, somewhere, someone might actually believe you.

Third…whoa, here comes the big one. SEX. Its been said that guys use love to get sex and girls use sex to get love. Sad thing is, is a lot of relationships are based on just this. My opinions are not based on experience but instead, observation. A lot of my friends sleep around and then later on wonder why it didn’t work out. By no means am I’m saying sex is bad, I’ve just noticed that when it happens to soon, it short circuits other parts of a relationship. People can relate on many different levels -- emotionally, spiritually, physically, and mentally but when sex happens to soon it can and often does become the main focus, and every other part of the relationship, such as talking, becomes irrelevant. I also noticed when this happens, guys tend to lose respect for the girl and girls start to mistrust the guy. Here’s my suggestion: Don’t have sex until you’re married. Make someone prove they love you, because words can only go so far.

Finally, I am not a shrink, nor do I have any formal education concerning this subject; I’m just an average Joe and these are my observations and opinions. I’ll leave you with this last suggestion, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. You have your whole life to fall in love, but right now, what matters is you. You’ll never be satisfied with someone else until your satisfied with yourself.

Chloers said...
Oh my! i love this. SO true. I can relate so much to this. Great job! I agree with everything you said, and I could almost see your personality coming out of it, and I dont even know you! Ill be looking for more of your work! :)

BlueRain said...
One part that bugs me the most is the advice that if you don't like the hobbies of the other, you should find something you both like to do. But the way I see it, if you really love someone, shouldn't you be able to appreciate their interests and ENJOY participating in them? I see it all the time on shows were the wife gets annoyed at the husband's obsession with football/ baseball/whatever sport, and then he makes fun of her community service or interest in animals/ the list goes on. Maybe heal... (more »)

Alexa Schottin said...
I found this incredible. I agreed with every opinion of yours! I would add in real life examples and try to put more emotion into your writings. Your organization was good but lacked good word choice. Keep writing!!! I liked it a lot! :)

Brynners said...
 I feel like you just took my brain and copied what it was telling you. Your writing seems similar to mine, easy to understand. I would work on more detail or add in real life  examples.

greenbean_94 replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm :
SAME HERE!!! Totally agree!!!

Bookworm1998 said...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 8:49 am:
this is rlly good and i agree with it 100%. some grammar errors, but otherwise, good writing!

greenbean_94 replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm :
SAME HERE!!! Totally agree!!!

jaylw said...
Thank you, this is great, btw, i agree, with you and reading this has hleped me out, best of luck to you

SilverDropsofLife said...
May 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm:

THANK YOU.  Seriously.  High school teens are in need of shock treatment.  I may be one of those teens, but at least I know when to quit.  Some of those kids really need to get contacts and realize that they are either be completely stupid or just plain cruel.  Either way, they need to grow up.

On the writing side, you really need to proof read.  So many mistakes.  I may agree with your opinion, but with your writing, it loses a couples stars.  P... (more »)

CorrinaElisabeth replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm :
Agreed. The mistakes in the actual article were a bit bothersome to my proof-read-everything-automatically mind. But I agreed with the point of it. Finally! Someone who stands against the (often well-deserved) teenage stereotype!

Archangel1410This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Look at your second paragraph. One that maybe true for some but not all guys. Second some girls arent innocent in this either. Girls can be just like that. Ive seen it happen many times. otherwise great article.

Fate98 said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm:
Well this is a very well writen,powerfull and very ture article. Thats sort of weird coming from me as i am a hopeless romantic. But your right i supose. But stuff like love at first sight and when your with the one your ment to be with, you just sort of know. I need and want to keep that burnig in my heart.  As i sure know that your point of love can hurt is also very very true.

theavatar said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm:
awesome, i luv articles that are straightforward like this! keep up the great work :D

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm:
oh yes!  i love it when i see articles that are well written like this is, and it's exactly how i feel!  if you would, read mine on the sort of same subject.  Dating?  Protecting Your Heart.  thanks and great job!

MKimmi replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm :
true true I LOVE IT TOO

KrystalT said...
I think you are right. But people have to make mistakes to learn from them, no matter what anybody tells them. Any way congrats on making this number one!!!

i lov ya!alicia said...
i love your story i can relate to most love storys people put on this amazing site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

valeria replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 3:08 pm :
i now the stories are cool i love this site

perus said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:22 am:
i find this article to be extremly strotypical to be honest i dont think you know what your talking about you are obvisly speaking out of hurt

. replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm :
I disagree, perus.  This person has made a very good point, with much evidence. Where' your evidence?