I Misjudged Someone, and He Later Became My Boyfriend | Teen Ink

I Misjudged Someone, and He Later Became My Boyfriend

I was always a very depressed and negative person. I’ve also come to realize that the more open I was to people, the more i’d get hurt. But I just couldn’t control it. I’m a very open person. You hurt me and I forgive you, but I won’t forget. You leave and I stay, and clean up the mess you made. You hate me, but I can’t hate you. You give me a little, and I give you a whole lot more in return. But because of how much pain I was given to deal with, I just couldn’t deal with it anymore, like it was just too much. I decided to cut off all people who hated me. Even those who loved and cared for me. But then I found someone who did love and care for me. Someone who understood me and was patient with me. And accepted me for me. But I misjudged him first before he became mine.

It was just 19 more days until my birthday. I was about to turn 14 years old. I wasn’t like any other girl, instead, I was like another flower, shattering, and petals slowly falling off petal by petal. But then one day, my old friend ‘A’, (not gonna say her real name, so lets call her A.) added me in a group chat on facebook. After being added to the group chat, I would talk very little and say only a few words. Again, always being that really sad and depressed person. Not very long after, it just became so awkward in the groupchat that I wanted to leave. But before I did, I decided to add my ‘not yet’ boyfriend, Vameng.

When I saw the notification that he accepted my friend request, my heart was filled with joy. There are no words to express how happy I was to see that he accepted my friend request. MINE! I went through his page and he was always tagged in ‘A’’s selfies. I was extremely jealous and deep down, full of rage. Can you believe that? I was so jealous over someone who wasn’t mine but was mine at the same time. I looked more into his page and saw that 60% almost 75% of his friends were girls. I finally confirmed to myself that he was a f***boy. When really, he was the exact opposite.

I went back to the group chat and announced that I was gonna leave the group chat. Who would care anyways? I still kinda feel embarrassed for trying to grab attention like that. At that moment, I just wanted to get Vameng’s attention. And guess who succeeded? I DID!! I was laying on my bed with my eyes closed forgetting all the homework I had to do. My phone rung with the messenger ringtone. I wasn’t interested in looking at my phone at that moment because again, I was depressed. I picked up my phone and saw a text. From who? The man I already claimed to be mine. Vameng. My heart raced and I could feel my face heating up. I picked up my phone quickly to answer him back. “Just send him a text Kaleena!” I thought to myself. Repeatingly going through my head.

*puts in my phone password and opens in text*

Vameng: “You okay?”

Me: “No..*sad face emoji*but it’s whatever right?”

Vameng: “Nah.. you wanna talk about it or nah?”

Me: “That’d be great*sad face and heart emoji*”

“WOAH WOAH WOAH KALEENA SENDING A HEART EMOJI ALREADY?? PULL IT TOGETHER! NOT SO FAST!”, I thought to myself immediately.

Vameng: “Okay, what’s wrong?”

Me: “Give me a sec.”

Vameng: “Okay.”

*Sends him 3 screenshots of me and my old best friend’s texts*

Vameng: “People is always gonna have something to say. Don’t listen to them.”

I started to think “Wow.. is he really trying to comfort me?”

My heart was pounding because never have I ever been comforted that way. People would usually just doubt me or tell me to ignore it. But not him, he’s so much more different than all these other people. He told me to ignore it and it wasn’t my fault. I automatically knew that I wanted him to be a part of my life. I will never find anyone like him, ever.

As time passed, actually a week, we started talking more and getting to know each other, we both knew we had a special connection. We were becoming closer than ever. It just felt like it was meant to be. I confessed my love by saying “I love you” first. Surprisingly he said it back. I couldn’t believe I was rushing it so much but I just couldn’t hold it back. I just wanted him to be mine. I wanted to claim him and I knew if I didn’t take that chance, I’d lose him. Forever.

He asked me when did we wanna become official. And I told him to wait until my birthday. And we did! We became official on my birthday. 05/26/17. I am so over beyond thankful to have him as my boyfriend and soon to be husband.

I learned that we shouldn’t be too quick to judge people, especially if we don’t even know their story or who they really are. We were never in their shoes so why judge so quickly? Unfortunately it’s something that we all as humans will do. If you quickly judge someone before you get to know them, many things could happen. As for example, if I still thought that Vameng was a f***boy and avoid him , I would never be this happy, this loved, this cared for, and so much more no one else in this world could give me.

I misjudged someone, and he later became my boyfriend