Love Is Love | Teen Ink

Love Is Love

Google Dictionary defines love as "an intense feeling of deep affection"; however, our society today has given it's own definition. At this point in time, love must be between a man and a woman, and I do not agree with that at all.

They say that everyone is equal, yet we still sexism, racism, and segregation. Although none of these apply to me, one that does is homophobia. Growing up in a small town, I've always had to confrom to my surroundings. Make the right comments and jokes, or else others will judge. I've caused myself so much mental pain trying to hide who I really am, when all I really want to do is love whoever I want.

Being bisexual is looked at as a social stigma. Of the few people I've come out to, I've received many questions. "When did you figure this out?" "How did you know?" However, the one that has always stuck with me was, "Why are you so indecisive? Can't you just pick one?"

They say we're equal, but when it comes to love, we are not. I have a big heart and I don't want to limit who I love. I want to be able to love whoever I want and marry whoever I want, and even though in this period of time they say that it's easier than ever, it's still the hardest thing I have ever had to come to terms with.

"Don't your parents want grandchildren?"

"What would your parents think about this?"

It's not my parents life, this is my life. I can choose who to love and who to be with. There is no set rules that a girl has to marry a man, yet in this day and time it's still fround upon. How does my happiness affect you in any way at all? It doesn't. 

All I want from life is to live knowing I gave all my love possible to whoever needed it.

To those out there still struggling with accepting their sexuality: I believe in you. You need to make yourself happy first, because holding back who you are is not how you go about doing that. If your best friend can't still love you because of who you love, you don't need them. Surround yourself with only love and support. 

Hopefully one day there will be no more negative comments. The first question to all the high school girls at family events won't be, "So, do you have a boyfriend?" The guys won't be asked, "Have your eye on any special girl?" I hope one day we can love openly and freely and be happy and content with who we are.

At the end of the day, love is love. Gender, race, and religion should have no place in the defintion of love.

It's been hard for me to come to terms with my sexuality because of the world we live in today; however, I have realized that I don't need to make anyone happy but myself.