Modern Day Love Crisis | Teen Ink

Modern Day Love Crisis

December 7, 2018
By Anonymous

 

 

    Society has pushed our tolerance to its limits. From reducing racism to increasing gender equality. Many of these changes have been for the better, but there have unfortunately been some ideas that we have disregarded. The idea I will talking about is the acceptable age for a person to be in a relationship.

    As humans we are beings that feel, think, love, etc. Our brains stop developing around our mid-20s or even mid-30s. This is consistent with the fact that our interests are solidified around the same time. Therefore it is only reasonable to assume that finding a partner would be done around this time. Many that follow this rule grow up and find a partner that shares the same interests, goals, and are in it for the long run.

This causes me to question why society makes it customary for kids to be in a relationship. Society has recently been greatly influenced by social media, especially the new generation. This may be the source of the problem. They paint a fantasy and many young minds believe it to be true. This causes the idea to be put into practice causing a chain reaction inside schools from school to school, even if it is just a fantasy.

Kids are neither physically, mentally, nor financially ready for a relationship. Their mental state is the sole reason why they aren’t ready. Like I previously said, “Our brains stop developing around our mid-20s or even mid-30s,” therefore kids are constantly changing the things they like and dislike. So while two kids may fall in love, they don’t know how long they will be into the other person. Kids also go to school and a relationship will only be a distraction to their education.

Another reason why young relationships aren’t appropriate is because the people “fall in love”. Many people misinterpret this and believe it is the same as loving someone. That is incorrect. While “falling in love” is suddenly liking someone for any physical, or behavioral trait. Loving someone is the intention of making the other person feel happy. Because they sound similar young people may confuse the two and base of their relationship on the wrong one. This causes both parties pain when one or both sides feel like they are being neglected because the other person doesn’t love them, when in fact they did not love each other.

In conclusion the norm, of kids being in relationships, should be broken. Because their brains aren’t fully developed they are not mentally prepared for a relationship and the struggles that come with maintaining it. As well as the confusion between “falling in love” and loving someone. It will leave both parties in pain only to yearn for another person to fill the gap, causing a repetitive cycle.


The author's comments:

This is from my perspective