The War Against Plastic: Good Job, California! | Teen Ink

The War Against Plastic: Good Job, California!

By sksksksk BRONZE, San Mateo, California
sksksksk BRONZE, San Mateo, California

For many, the single-use plastic bag is a part of daily life. This needs to stop. In some places, like California, initiatives towards the reduced usage of plastic bags have been put in place. As a citizen of California, I have become accustomed to bringing reusable bags--during the seldom times that I actually grocery shop--to the grocery store. This is due to the 10 cent fee on plastic bags that was enacted after the passing of Proposition 67. This specific single-use plastic bag ban has the main point: that all with a Type 20 or 21 license--which pertains to most grocery stores, retail stores (with a pharmacy), and convenience stores with food--must charge the fee to the customers. After the annually held Coastal Clean-up Day, litter data showed a drastic 72 percent decrease of plastic bag use than that of 2010. During beach clean-up efforts in Monterey County, volunteers picked up only 43 plastic bags as opposed to the 2,494 found in 2010. Before the ban, clean-up efforts cost the state an estimated $400 million every year on clean-up. The rest of America has yet to catch up with these environmental efforts. The average American uses and throws away close to 10 single-use plastic bags per week, and in New York, using twice that. The absurd amount of plastic bags used per year, when tied together, could stretch to the moon and back over 13 times. Recently, California has put into effect interest in banning detachable caps on plastic bottles. Although this may not sound like much, it represents a standard that could potentially interest the rest of the nation. In addition to banning plastic caps, interest has been shown towards banning plastic straws. Not only would this reduction of plastic bottle caps reduce litter and raise awareness for recycling these caps, but it would force California beverage companies to iterate their designs to tether these caps to the bottles. The passage of Assembly Bill 2779 would require bottling companies to change their bottles for California--as well as have them contemplate whether or not they want California-specific bottles, or they would spread this to the entire nation’s bottles. Although California has become the face of environmentally friendly experiments; it is time for the world to wake up, and work towards this environmental effort together.

It is estimated that by 2050, the plastic on the oceans will outweigh the amount of fish in the oceans.