Wintry Times | Teen Ink

Wintry Times

By jasonveliky BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
jasonveliky BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Winter is the best season, in my opinion. Right in front of summer, winter is my favorite season, and the only reason it is even close is because we have school during winter, and not summer. However, during the winter there are so many activities to do that you cannot do during the summer, as most of them involve snow so you also need to get a little lucky with the weather, such as snowboarding, ice skating, sledding, snowball fights, building snowmen, or even indoor activities such as sitting by a fire with a cup of hot chocolate, or spending a snowy night inside watching a movie. There is so much to do during the winter, and you can never be bored, or sick of the snow, unless you are the one shoveling it.

Personally, my favorite winter activity is snowboarding. I love the exhilaration of flying down the mountain with the cold wind flying against my face. I love the speed, and the adrenaline rush, and it is always a blast whenever I go out. However, snowboarding is not for the faint of heart. Enduring cold weather all day, sitting on rickety little ski lifts, and falling and hitting the ground a lot, and very hard, is just some of the things that all snowboarders deal with. Also, unlucky snowboarders could even encounter bears or break bones, so it clearly is not an activity for everyone, but if you can handle it I highly advise you hit the slopes at places near you.
Another great activity in the wintertime is anything on ice, such as ice skating, or playing ice hockey.  Going out on the ice with a couple friends is a lot of fun on days that the schools are closed, or everyone is available to play big games. However, if you are going to go out on the ice you have to make sure that it is thick enough, so that you can skate on it without worrying about falling in the lake or pond and getting hypothermia, or freezing to death. If you can find the right pond or lake, get ready because you are going to have tons of fun doing races with your friends, or playing a game of ice hockey against them, as long as everyone has skates and a stick. As said previously, ice skating is not an activity for everyone, especially on a pond or lake as there is always the slight chance for the ice to break, and you are guaranteed to fall a couple of times, but other than that, ice skating is a great winter activity.

Finally, winter also gives the opportunity for some cozy indoor activities that you cannot enjoy during any other season. My personal favorite indoor options are to spend time with my family while the fire is roaring and it’s snowing outside, like watching a movie or playing a board game. These options can include everyone in the family, and they are overall lots of fun when you are stuck inside on a snowy day. Sitting on the couch with my family and turning on a great movie is very enjoyable, and it is a great option for everyone. Spending time with family is to me is really important, and I think that there is no better way to do that than watch a movie. Also, playing board games is lots of fun, and it can definitely get intense with a competitive group. In the end, indoor family activities are a great option that can only be done with the aroma of winter.

Winter is the best season of the year, and there are so many activities that you can do with the snow falling in the cold temperature, such as skiing or snowboarding, ice skating, or playing board games and even watching movies with family. There is no other time of year you can do any of these activities, and that is what makes winter so great. With the snow and ice, there are endless possibilities to what you can do. I love winter, and all these experiences have built my love for it, and I’m sure if you go out and try some yourself, they’ll make some wintry times that you’ll never forget.

A couple of reasons as to why winter is the best season...