No Bees? No Food. | Teen Ink

No Bees? No Food.

January 16, 2017
By shn22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
shn22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Some people argue that pesticides don’t harm bees, and the loss of bees does not affect the agricultural economy.   But they’re wrong, they do affect the loss of bees and it does affect the agricultural economy greatly.  This loss is projected have an $8 billion to $12 billion effect on America’s agricultural economy, but the consequences of CCD could be far more disastrous.  Pesticides are a big part to human cancer, but the opposing side might say that artificial pesticides have nothing to do with cancer.  Research shows that seven of the most toxic chemical compounds known to man are approved for use as pesticides in the production of foods!  (“Effects Of Pesticides” Author: Dr. Edward Group Page: 2)  But most people agree that  think pesticides are very harmful for people, bees and our community.

We depend on bees.  One in every three bites depends on honey bees.   Also, when bees go extinct a man will only have 4 years to live.  Many people disagree, and think pesticides aren’t harmful at all.  They think pesticides are good for the Earth because, pesticides are believed to keep the plants safe from pests, and disease.  But really pesticides are harming the pests negatively, and the pesticides cause many people cancer and birth defects.  Farmers utilize crop protection products (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.) to help control the thousands of weed species, harmful insects, and plant diseases that can afflict crops.  There are many reasons to stop using pesticides such as, pesticides don’t solve pest problems.  If they did then we would not keep using them.  Americans use more than a billion pounds of pesticides each year to decrease pests on farm crops, in homes, business places, schools, parks, hospitals, and other public places.  Instead, it would be wise to change the conditions that make pests thrive.


Another reason why we should stop using pesticides is because pesticides are very harmful and hazardous to our health.  A lot of people don’t believe this but, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, effects of pesticides expose symptoms of dizziness and nausea to serious, long-term neurological, developmental, and reproductive disorders.  Pesticides cause special problems for children.  What’s so special about that?  Children tend to eat and drink a lot more than adults, and a lot of those drinks and foods are contaminated with pesticides.  Pesticides are contaminated in most foods.  Seven of the most toxic chemical compounds known to man are used in the production of foods! (“Top 10 Reasons To Stop Using Pesticides” Pages: 1 and 2)

Pesticides are also very harmful for the environment.  Chemical pesticides are known to pollute the environment.  Their intended effects are often short-lived, but studies have shown that chemical pesticides linger in the atmosphere, in the ground and in waterways long after the job is over.  Chemicals have been used on fields across the world for almost 100 years, creating a buildup of adverse pollution in our environment, which continues to grow with every application.  When pesticides are applied onto a surface, they travel outside their intended area of use by air, soil, or water.  This is one common way in which chemical pesticides cause collateral damage, by using more than intended.  The Agricultural MU Guide explains that "for certain pesticides to be effective, they must move within the soil…too much movement can transfer a pesticide away from the target pest.  This can lead to reduced pest control, contamination of surface water and groundwater and injury of non-target species, including humans.  "Organizations such as, The Organic Material Review Institute (OMRI) have been taking big steps in recent years to develop standards for these alternative products. (“Harmful Effects of Chemical Pesticides on Your Health and the Environment” Page: 1)

 

Farmers are part of the problem too.  When farmers across the world began to rely on chemical pesticides, a drastic change in soil health followed. When the health of soil is compromised, the nutritional value of the food it yields is compromised as well.  “The United States government estimates that levels of trace minerals in fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991" says Cleeton.  This change is tied directly to the widespread increased exposure to pesticides. (“Harmful Effects of Chemical Pesticides on Your Health and the Environment” Page: 2)

Pesticides are polluting our air.  Would you like to live in a community with polluted air?  Pesticides are killing many bees too.  Honey bees are dying, and our food chain will go with them.  We need honeybees.  Bees are responsible for about one-third of the food we eat.  They add $15 billion annually in value to American crops, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.  Also, commercial agriculture depends on them.  Without honeybees, whole harvests of fruits, vegetables and nuts would fail.  Also, the loss of bees would lead to trouble in the beef industries.  Bees pollinate oilseeds, which make up much of the world’s supply of fat.  Also, cotton is an oilseed, which means the cotton trade would be in trouble, too. (“Everything you wanted to know about the bee die-off” Pages: 1 and 2)
A world without honeybees would look very different.

People might say that the loss of honeybees don’t negatively affect our world, or affect it at all.  But it does.  Some things that would would happen if bees keep dying are, if bees can’t make enough honey, than honey producers will go out of business.  Also, The cosmetic industry, which uses honey as a skin moisturizer in many creams, soaps, shampoos, and lipsticks, will also suffer. Cows will starve if there is not enough good-quality alfalfa (plant) available to eat.  So, the loss of honeybees will, and are negatively affecting us, and the world.  Bees keep plants and crops alive. Without bees, humans wouldn't have very much to eat. (“Everything you wanted to know about the bee die-off” Pages: 1 and 2)


Many people think pesticides are a major help because they kill the bad pests on crops, and that is true.  It does help in some ways but, it’s also very harmful for other pests that are helpful to our environment.  Pesticides are harming the pests and the environment negatively.  Pesticides are also very harmful for people too.  Would you like to eat seven of the most toxic chemical compounds in your food?  Because seven of the most toxic chemicals are used in the productions of foods.  Many People think pesticides don’t cause human cancer, but it does.  Pesticides cause birth defects, leukemia, and types of skin cancer.  Instead, it would be wise to change the conditions that make pests thrive.