Travel for Our Future | Teen Ink

Travel for Our Future

By Kylee-Walls BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Kylee-Walls BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

The center for biological diversity reports that about 15 percent of man-made carbon dioxide comes from transportation. The inefficient and environmentally detrimental transportation of today’s society needs extreme improvement, as it is one of the biggest contributors to the decline of our ecosystem. Systems we are currently using are far behind the earth-friendly and efficient means of travel technology we possess. There are two means of possible transportation, in particular, that would be a better way to travel than the modes we currently use. One is an air tube that travels frictionless at very high speeds, and the other is an Air Pod car-type of vehicle that runs of clean energy. Both are newer, greener, cheaper, more convenient replacements of our current systems.

For the first method of transportation air tubes would be implemented for long distance travel, replacing highly pollutant trains and airplanes.  Tube travel consists of an airless, frictionless tube that can travel up to 4,000 miles per hour. Some may think moving at such high speeds would be uncomfortable, but it feels about the same as traveling in a car. The air tubes are propelled by magnets and hover on a cushion of air that they create. To reduce friction from the surrounding air, a powerful fan is installed in the front of each capsule to suck air from the front to the rear. It would be nearly impossible for it to wreck and would be resistant to harsh weather. It would require an initial cost of $6 billion, which is only one tenth the cost of building a high-speed rail system. The air tube system is also especially environmentally friendly, as it is propelled by magnets, which are completely eco-friendly. If this transportation method were universally adopted, safe and clean intercontinental travel would be possible.

The second mode of transportation is the Air Pod, which is a futuristic replacement for the car made for urban short distance transit. This method of transportation runs on compressed air, making it completely environmentally friendly and producing no pollutants. The Air Pod travels up to 50 MPH, which is perfect for urban travel where high speeds aren’t necessary. This pod is also produced at a surprisingly low cost, retailing for $10,000 and costing only $2.00 to refill components into the tank, which lasts over 125 miles.  The air in its tank can be replenished by an external pump or via an electric motor that renews itself while in motion. The usage of air as fuel completely diminishes air pollution and has no negative impact on the environment. This is a much better alternative to cars, which are highly polluting and costly.

Transportation is a central part of our lives and a basic necessity in our modern world. The demand for transportation will rise as we search for faster and safer ways to keep connected with others. The current systems are not nearly as efficient or green as they should be but these new proposed methods of transportation provide exactly what we need in our modern, developing, and demanding world.

Works Cited
"Zero Pollution Motors." Zero Pollution Motors. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
"Beijing in Time for Dinner: Frictionless Tube Travel." Beijing in Time for Dinner: Frictionless Tube Travel. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.