Animal Testing Should Be Banned | Teen Ink

Animal Testing Should Be Banned

January 8, 2016
By pancake51@32 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
pancake51@32 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Chimpanzees share 99% of their DNA with humans and rodents such as mice are 98% alike humans in physical appearance that all comes from animal testing.(Pusey et al.)People have been testing products on animals since 500B.C. I think animal testing should stop because you can use other ways to test products, most strategies with animal testing wont work, and it is cruel killing a lot of animals.

Animal testing is killing a lot of animals and it is very cruel. Humane Society International says that animals get tortured, force fed, and they get starved.(Animal Testing - ProCon.org ) I personally think that is simply inhumane. In 2010 Minnesota has killed 2,703 cats in testing, more than any state has.  New Jersey has killed 17,458 monkeys or primates overall.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”)We don’t need to kill that many animals. The U.S Department Of Agriculture has recorded on 2010 97,123 animals have undergone testing without any pain relieving drugs.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”; “Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) That number itself is huge just to know that there are so many more being tested on. Thats terrible I suppose you wouldn't want to go through that so why put animals through it? Animal testing is killing a lot of animals but it also does not mean that animal tested products are safe to use.


Testing products on animals will not prove a product is safe to use. Paul Furlong Professor of clinical neuroimaging at at Aston University states that “it's very hard to create an animal model that even equates closely to what we're trying to achieve in the human.”(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) Basically what Furlong is saying is that if you test on animals then you will get a different reaction from them when tested on products than the reactions we have and animals and humans are completely different organisms. Thomas Hartung Professor at John Hopkins University says “we are not 70 kg rats”.(“J.Perkel”) This also supports the fact that humans and animals are completely different. Animal tests on Vioxx a drug for arthritis was tested on mice but was withdrawn in 2004 because it caused more than 27,000 heart attacks and deaths.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) It is astonishing that one drug caused so many deaths and heart attacks just because they thought it would be safe due to being tested on mice. Some animal tested products are not safe to use but you can even find other ways to test products.


There are other ways to test products. Studying cell cultures in a petri dish can produce better results than animal testing because you're actually studying human cells.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) This procedure doesn’t even take testing on a physical person or animal. Epi Derm and Thin Cert is created by artificially make human skin cells and can produce more useful results than animal testing.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) So you have other ways to test products other than sticking needles into innocent animals. Computer models such as virtual reconstruction of human molecular structure can predict the toxicity of substances without animal testing.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”)Even if we have a lot of alternative ways to test products why do we still test on animals. We have so many ways to test and stop animal testing but unfortunately a lot of people still think we should do animal testing.
I think we should ban animal testing but there are a lot of people who think we should not ban it.   The California Biomedical Research Association has found that almost every medical breakthrough in the last 100 years has resulted directly from research using animals.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”)This is correct but back hundred years ago people did not know about all these new and better ways to test drugs did they.Added to state laws rules and regulations,animal research has been regulated  by the federal Animal Welfare Act since 1966.(“Animal Testing - ProCon.org”) If this is true then how come there has been physical evidence of animals being tortured and mistreated.Animals do not have the brain or moral judgment that humans do and because of this they have been treated as humans are treated  by nearly every culture throughout recorded history.That still is no reason to make animals suffer they did nothing to us so we should not harm them.Some reasons people say we should test on animals are very unreasonable and animal testing should be stopped.


I think animal testing should be banned throughout the nation and even, world.Personally my thought is that in the future somebody will find enough ways and reasons to stop animal testing and innocent animals will finally be put to rest from the fear of being captured by human,tortured and possibly killed.