Humans Devalue Orcas for Selfish Reasons | Teen Ink

Humans Devalue Orcas for Selfish Reasons

November 19, 2015
By SabrinaCalderon BRONZE, Sacramento, California
SabrinaCalderon BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A vast majority of the population contends that it is immoral to remove animals from their natural habitat in order to keep them captive. People consider that the animals held in captivity have evolved to acquire rights equivalent to humans, while others argue that captivity is a manner to enforce conservation for animals. Regardless of these conceptions, the environment orcas are provided with in aquariums does not compare to their natural habitat. It is challenging to supply a compatible habitat for orcas because we genuinely do not understand their  necessities or ways of being.

These creatures should not be exhibited anywhere due to the inhumane and harsh conditions they are forced to live in. It is devastating that society has constant disputes and altercations regarding the exhibition of  orcas in public seminars. I comprehend why management for aquarium companies ,SeaWorld, would argue that keeping orcas captive “saves” and preserves the species, but on the contrary, it devalues the role and importance they have in the world. Management should not obtain them if they are not provided with similar living conditions as they would in their natural habitat. SeaWorld's employee ,Robeck, mentions how keeping orcas on display at marine parks makes them "education ambassadors" that encourages "people to think more about the environment and what they can do to help preserve and protect it” (Raja P11). Due to management's lack of understanding the orcas, we will never be able to provide these orcas the compatible habitat they need. Throughout this article, Raja states how captivity will preserve companies, like SeaWorld, because it forces them to do interactive research for these animals.Yet in the past 55 years, SeaWorld only has 40 articles made. This proves how this company's priority was never to help these orcas. Research on the orcas was not done every year and their excuse of keeping them captive for research is no longer valid. The research for orcas was never taken seriously. Management supplies these orcas with cheap environments because we are too ignorant and self -centered when it comes to learning about other environments besides our own. If we can not give them comfortable “homes” then we should not take them out of the wild. These mammals have emotions as well and if aquariums continue to not provide consistent research to better understand the orcas, we will surely degrade the species. According to One Green Planet, website that touched base on Loro Parque, ignoring animal feelings and environments “devalues [the] species”. Alas, this furthers my overall idea of why management should discontinue captivity because they are too selfish to understand the orcas value in life. The importance of providing them with a compatible and stable habitat in order for them to feel content is non-existent.

Would you like to be exhibited by  hundreds of people for 10 minutes and then be isolated in a closed space for the rest of the day? This does not sound fun, and I assure you that the orcas in aquariums or marine parks do not either. CNN’s Naomi Rose, marine biologist,  wrote an article describing how, “Captivity Kills Orcas” because the public is given false information on a daily basis. Orcas are in artificial and incompatible social groups/habitats  that make them stressed and aggravated (Rose P1-2). Holding orcas captive causes them to form traits that are not commonly seen in the wild. This is  why we are incapable of understanding the orcas. In a panel discussion, Dr. Duffus  proposed and questioned  the idea of what “can we gain from killer whales in captivity when it comes to research and conservation”, and he then argued  how the metabolic rates of captive animals cannot be compared to those in the wild, as they live in unnatural conditions” (Duffus P3). Duffus states how the research is unnecessary and irrelevant to those compared in wild. Management does not attempt to give these orcas families or habitats attainable to them. Also, it is a waste of time to further the research process when it is not for the orcas benefit. Duffus briefly addresses the non existent connection between wild and captive orcas because the environments are not comparable and the findings are considered invalid.

Avoiding the orcas fundamental necessities validates how selfish management can be. If scientists say we should let them go then we should because humans are not symbiotic to these creatures.  If research is being done it should be done daily to have a better understanding of the orcas behavior. People are too different to understand orcas which is why it is difficult to provide the compatible habitats they deserve and need.