Global Warming: A Threat to the World | Teen Ink

Global Warming: A Threat to the World

July 8, 2015
By Anindita63 BRONZE, Sylhet, Other
Anindita63 BRONZE, Sylhet, Other
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be a leader,not a follower!"


The flood has washed away their land, shelter, food and more importantly, it has snatched their hopes and enthusiasm with its demon-like waves.  The helpless victims are now trying heart and soul to recover from this unfortunate situation.


Moreover, the villagers do not have a mere idea of their imminent disaster. And why will they know? It is not their fault! These poor people neither ran posh cars, nor did they own a factory that released billions of CO2 molecules contributing to global warming. Global warming is probably the most used word by the environmentalists in this 21st century.  Global warming is a malediction for the present century. Due to this curse, the ices in the polar region are melting at a greater rate than expected and cause the sea-levels to rise. As the sea-levels rise, the world faces more problems like flood. Even though, Bangladesh has very little intervention in polluting and causing global warming, it still occupies the first place as the most climate-vulnerable countries in the world. And it is solely because of the developed countries that constantly pollutes air. 


According to researchers, Bangladesh, an obvious victim of climate change, is going to lose about 17% of its land by 2050. Therefore, approximately 25086.9 square kilometers will be mopped out of the map. Furthermore, about 18 million people will be homeless! The victims of the disaster are not educated or aware of it! Most of them have heard the word ‘global warming’ for the first time.


Many citizens are aware and learned who have plethora of ideas about the upcoming, distressing problem. When asked them to take steps and find ways to reduce the calamity, they did not seem to care.  What’s more, their answer shocked me; almost all of them were on the verge of leaving the country and settle abroad. It looked as if an air of non-chalence blew over them.


On the other hand, when the sufferers were interviewed, they were fraught with fear! They wanted to know if any organization or government is willing to take action to protect them.  As far as I am concerned, I have only heard about a few actions and projects being taken. But these are obviously not enough and it is definitely not going to be adequate as long as other people around the country are not going to help.


The rich people have expensive cars, they are the owners of factories and are directly linked to cause global warming. They know about it and still have a tendency to erase the catastrophe from their brains. Yes, they have money and can lead a luxurious life abroad. So the deaths of millions of people due to their fault don’t concern them. The upcoming disaster and the mind-set of the rich people are indelible. But we do not want our country to suffer great loss. So, isn’t the best time to distinguish between ourselves and save our motherland?!