Weapon Control | Teen Ink

Weapon Control

By lynna22 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
lynna22 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

"God gave you this life because he knew you were strong enough to live it"

Is it guns that kill people, or people that kill people? A big argument can be brought up out of this question, but in my opinion, people kill people. If a gun is sitting next to you, it can’t get up by itself and kill you, a human would have to load the gun, and pull the trigger in order for it to actually hurt or kill someone. According to “NBC News”, the website “How Stuff Works” and “Junior Scholastic”, they all support evidence saying how people really do kill people.
    To begin, guns can’t pull their own trigger, let’s use common sense. Clearly the people are the ones who kill animals, so humans would have to kill each other. Guns cannot shoot unless it is loaded and someone pulls the trigger. However, you could argue that guns kill people because, yeah they do. But i’m sure your reasoning is the bullet or gun powder is what hurts the person, and I agree, but guns don’t just “shoot” until someone has stood behind the gun, and pulled the trigger.
    Another reason people can kill people is when they accidently leave the gun sit out of a locked compartment or another area. They could also leave the gun out and loaded, and somebody else could walk up to it, not realizing, and shoot another. Some say we need weapon control for safety purposes, for example the “NBC News”. A little kid was shot from an elder adult by leaving a gun out. There is another way of how people kill people.
    To add on, say someone leaves a gun left out and then they don’t realize it was loaded. Well, let’s put it this way, you come home from a bar, and you’ve had a few too many drinks. That gun you left out earlier, of course you don’t remember, but you pick it up keeping in mind that you’re still drunk. You take the gun downstairs, and there sits your wife. You’re angry so you take all of the anger out on her. The gun didn’t travel down the steps by itself, you brought it down, and you pulled the trigger to kill her; this is when your getting in trouble with the police, and you’re behind bars.
    This is also why we should limit weapon usage to people who have criminal records, or people who are mentally ill. Hopefully this will help to prevent shootings from happening in your town.
    Another reason why someone might say guns kill people is because of the environment around them. People are being forced to do stuff that they don’t want to do, and they get sick of it, so later they commit suicide. Minds are set to think that “Oh, well the gun was what was sitting next to her, and it killed her, but she used the gun to trigger the bullet herself.
    Therefore, now I hope you can see that it really is people that kill people. In order for a gun to kill you, obviously it isn’t a human it can’t move. The people around it have the power to load and shoot, and that is how guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

I wrote this article because our class was having a discussion on gun control, and whether or not guns should be permitted for certain types of things. This essay shares some factual evidence and some of my opinion to support my reponse.