Fossil Fuels Will Destroy Our Earth | Teen Ink

Fossil Fuels Will Destroy Our Earth

By CrystalDobyns BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
CrystalDobyns BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Has to be atleast....20% cooler" A quote by the fastest pony in PonyVille rainbowdash also my second favorite quote is "Yeah babey" By Austin Powers

Is there a better energy source? Better and less dangerous than fossil fuels? There actually is, people have been debating this topic a lot and they can’t seem to agree with each other. Fossil fuels are dangerous. They are taking away our fresh air, harming our eco-system, and worst of all can cause acid rain, but on the other hand our eco-friendly energy sources aren’t as powerful as fossil fuels they may be safer and more eco-friendly but since we have been using fossil fuels since humans were able to talk it will be hard to change to a less powerful energy resource. Although is it really a big risk when using fossil fuels as much as we do is a even bigger risk? Even though eco-friendly energy sources aren’t as powerful we will learn to use them and they will become more powerful,for example we used to just use candles as light but then we learned how to use electricity, we learned how to use that. So we could actually find a better and less dangerous energy resource other than fossil fuels.

While people still use fossil fuels think of what they aren’t doing. People who still use fossil fuels think that they are using the best source, while its still a good energy source is it a good source for our nature? According to the IEA Clean Coal Centre, there are over 2300 coal-fired power stations worldwide (7000 individual units). Approximately 620 of these power stations are in China. Which means that the air is getting polluted more and more every day in those areas so those areas don’t have fresh air so when people go there they won’t want to stay for long since China is a great place to visit yet people still go there the coal production is going up every year according to records by the “Coal Institutions of America”.

“Fossil fuels, including coal, oil and natural gas, are currently the world's primary energy source. Formed from organic material over the course of millions of years, fossil fuels have fueled U.S. and global economic development over the past century. Yet fossil fuels are finite resources, they can also irreparably harm the environment. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the burning of fossil fuels was responsible for 79 percent of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions in 2010.” And you can’t forget about the big oil spills that happened more than once in Florida. 

“Fossil fuels are one of the greatest threats to the environment today. Their burning contributes heavily to global warming, the pollution of the air, water and land, as well as the production of acid rain, which can harm almost all organisms.” Acid rain is what will happen if we keep using fossil fuels as much as we are. How acid rain is formed is when a chemical reaction that begins when compounds like sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released into the air. These substances can rise very high into the atmosphere, where they mix and react with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form more acidic pollutants, known as acid rain. Which sounds scary but is way worse. Since the rain is actually acid which could give you severe burn and could melt your skin on contact.

So when you look at it in one big picture, fossil fuels are overall not good for us’ they might be in the fact that they help with fueling a lot of things that we need in our daily lives, but fossil fuels could turn our daily lives into a struggle to survive from the acid rain storms and the loss of food, and don’t forget the barren lands, and worst of all there would be no WIFI since we wouldn’t be able to fix it since the acid rain would ruin the towers and lines. So the main picture is let’s find a better source to keep our Wifi up. 

ø¨® ´å®†? ∑ˆ¬¬ ∫´ ∂´ß†®ø¥´∂ å˜∂ †?´®´ ∑ˆ¬¬ ∫´ ˜ø∑ ∑ˆƒˆ D: