Climate Change | Teen Ink

Climate Change

By aftycakes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
aftycakes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get

Recently in science class, I watched a video on how the greenhouse effect causes climate change through global warming. Pollution is one of the greatest impacts on climate change and will continue to grow as a problem. If you didn’t already know, the greenhouse effect is when all the greenhouse gases formed from pollution rise to form a gas barrier near the earth’s surface, so the sunlight and it’s heat is absorbed into the earth, but the greenhouse gases trap the heat inside, and as more heat is kept inside, the earth gets warmer because the heat can’t escape, hence the term “global warming”. As the earth gets hotter, the climate will change and the animals have to adapt to it, but unfortunately, not all animals can adapt so easily and could die off. To prevent this issue, there are some simple everyday things that we can do to limit the pollution in the air, which will be covered shortly.

Major events that can cause climate change are war, natural disasters, industries, fires, and transportation. War obviously provides lots of pollution to the area due to the creation of weaponry and bombs. Natural disasters destroy the area, and droughts or floods in particular could cause animals to have to migrate to other areas because there is a lack of water or too much water. Industries or factories give off pollution when creating new products. Transportation also gives off pollution, because when a car is running and even the cool hydro powered or electric powered car’s batteries give off pollution, don’t let them fool you.

We as normal people can do one simple activity to lessen the amount of pollution in the air—RECYCLE! “The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. Making a new product requires lots of materials and energy: raw materials must be extracted from the earth, and the product must be fabricated and then transported to wherever it will be sold. As a result, reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money.”(-Reducing and Reusing Basics) Recycling reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change and reduces the amount of waste that would be sent to landfills and incinerators. Honestly, how hard is it to refill your water bottle and put it in the fridge? It’s better for the environment AND saves you money! It’s a win win!

Another easy way to limit the amount of pollution in the earth is to carpool. “Road transport accounts for 22% of total UK emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) a major contributor to climate change.”(-Impacts of Car Pollution)  Rather than having all 450 kids at school have their moms take them to school, why not hitch a ride with the kids in your neighborhood? That way, instead of having 450 cars letting off pollution, there’s only about 100, with 4 people per car and buses bringing all the kids to school. In addition, it’s better for the parents because now they have more free time! Obviously, this is a great idea because it’s so simple, and why not? Carpooling is the way to go.

In conclusion, pollution does cause climate change and we should reduce it. Recycling and carpooling are just two easy ways to prevent pollution, and there are plenty more that could do the world justice just the same. Clearly, the climate is changing because of things that can’t necessarily be fixed all at once, but could steadily be done. I challenge you to recycle everything you can to reduce the amount of waste and pollution put out into the earth, and to lessen the amount of time you spend in your car. If you want, you could even ride your bike! It’s good exercise. Overall, you should just try to make an effort to do the simple things and keep our environment clean and non polluted.

WORKS CITED

http://www2.epa.gov/recycle/reducing-and-reusing-basics

http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/committees/air-quality/air-pollution-and-transport/car-pollution/