Why the Environment is So Important | Teen Ink

Why the Environment is So Important

January 8, 2015
By jhmarsh00 BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
jhmarsh00 BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine possessing something that you loved so much. Imagine what it would feel like losing it. While that item may be something as simple as a doll, toy, or game, you would still feel very upset, but you could replace it with a new one. Now imagine losing something that you depend on for survival and cannot replace. That is what it would be like if we lost the natural environment around us. The environment is a precious resource that we cannot afford to have damaged because it supports all human life and presents an unique educational opportunity.

To start off, I believe the environment should be preserved because it supports human life. One of the largest examples of this is that we get all of our food and drinks from something in the environment. We get all of our meat, fish, vegetable, fruits, dairy products, clothes, and even materials to make buildings and houses from some organic item in the environment. Even all of the processed foods and drinks we consume cannot be made without ingredients gathered from nature. If the environment were to be destroyed beyond revival, then the human race would be over in a matter of months. With no fertile land to grow crops, there would be massive crop shortages. There would be a massive ripple effect throughout the food chain, as there would be no viable food source for the group above and all animals would starve. Also, if we were to damage or pollute the environment, the worlds freshwater would be polluted as well. According to the UNEP International Environment, a staggering 90% of all wastewater is dumped untreated into freshwater streams, rivers, and lakes. This pollutes not only the water but also the fish living in it. They get sick from the untreated water and die, which is decimating fish populations, and is becoming a large problem in countries such as Brazil, the United States, Japan, and China. Another reason why the environment should be preserved is because we only have one Earth. Scientists have yet to find another planet with similar conditions to Earth, and if found, we don’t have the technology to get to that planet on time. This is why it is so important to preserve the environment.

Secondly, I believe that the environment is so important because it serves as an amazing educational tool for students. When I was in second grade, I had an absolute passion for animals. I loved to learn everything about them from their behavior, to their taxonomy, to even their diets. I watched episode after episode of National Geographic and Animal Planet shows because I was so interested in animals. So when we had a field trip to the Daggerwing Nature Center in Boca Raton, Florida, I was a bundle of pure happiness and energy. When we got their, I could hardly believe what I was seeing. There was a bridge to get to the main building, and under the bridges was a miniature mangrove swamp, complete with turtles, fish, herons, egrets, and my personal favorite, alligators. I was so in awe, I almost ran into the tour guide, who happened to be holding a baby alligator. I jumped back in surprise, then stared in amazement as the tour guide began to explain the rules of the Center. We walked into the buildings and saw a variety of animals in their habitats. I was so inspired by this visit, that six years later I have taken an animal behavior class for three weeks at Duke TIP at Davidson College. Encounters with the environment can inspire people, and if preserved will continue to inspire people.

In conclusion, the environment is so valuable because it is irreplaceable, keeps us alive, and serves as a great educational tool. Without it, the repercussions would be felt in extreme ways. Preservation of the environment is so important and without it we would be extinct.