Proud is an Understatement | Teen Ink

Proud is an Understatement

By Annabird14 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Annabird14 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

When the power of love over comes the love of power, then the world will finally know peace.

With wide open spaces, mountains in all directions, and wildlife free to live in their natural habitats, America has a selection of national parks. Yellowstone National Park importance to Americans; but it makes me feel not only proud to be an American, but also proud to be alive. I visited Yellowstone in 2011 with my family. Being a spunky 14 year old, I didn’t want to spend my summer vacation in the forest. But as soon as we entered the park, my opinions changed...

Experiencing the walk through the Roosevelt Arch was like eating ice cream for the first time. Joy filled my body as I walked towards the sunset on the horizon. I forgot my worries, and of all of the pain. I rode a horse through the hills, went swimming in hot springs, and even got close and personal with a wild donkey! The experiences made me realize how beautiful America’s nature really is. With the hills and valleys crimped like crumpled papers.

Another part of Yellowstone that makes me proud, is the preservation of the geysers and hot springs. Most people say Ole’ Faithful is the most majestic of all the geysers, but when I experienced the beauty of the crested pool and the chromatic springs I felt like the world had stopped for a moment. The colors captivated my eyes. It was something the lens of a camera couldn’t even capture. Of course, the foul smell is worse than the armpit of a football player after a game. But I learned to deal with that, and to embrace the infinite feeling the beauty the springs gave me.

The things I’ve experienced in Yellowstone made me feel like I have a sense of purpose. Yellowstone, and the rest of America’s national parks all have uniqueness. Yellowstones beauty was like the snow under your feet; glittering like broken glass. We take pride in our nations beauty, and do our best to preserve the wildlife and natural formations. And that’s why our preservation of our land’s beauty, like Yellowstone National Park, makes me proud to be an American.