Insomnia or Something Else? | Teen Ink

Insomnia or Something Else?

By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California

Lately, I’ve noticed my friends complaining about not being able to sleep at night. When I ask them why, they say that they were up texting or on social networks. When they finally put the device away at past midnight, they lay in bed for hours not being able to fall asleep.

It is scientifically proven that any sort of electronic, whether it’s an iPhone, or laptop has a special LED light in the screen, which prevents you from sleeping. “Strong light -- whether it's beaming down from the sun or up from the screens of personal electronics -- can reset a person's internal sleep clock.” CNNTech quotes. The main problem is that the light stimulates the brain so people are fooled into thinking it’s daytime. Everyone has a clock inside; it’s what makes us sleepy in the evening. . Using electronics right before sleeping interrupts and messes up that person’s inner clock, so they are no longer as tired.

“Light stimulates cells in the retina, the area at the back of the eye that transmits messages to the brain. The light-sensitive cells inform our body what time it is, explains Dr. Meadows.”

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2577824/Why-NEVER-mobile-bedroom.html)
“In a 2014 poll, the National Sleep Foundation, an advocacy organization, polled parents, asking them to estimate their children’s sleep. More than half said their 15-to-17-year-olds routinely get seven hours or fewer hours of sleep. (The recommended amount for teens is 8 ½- 10 hours.) In addition, 68 percent of these teens were also said to keep an electronic device on all night — a television, computer, video game or something similar.”

Sleep is very important for many reasons. “We feel more alert, more energetic, happier, and better able to function following a good night of sleep.” (http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/why-do-we-sleep)
It’s also safer to sleep. “The Institute of Medicine estimates that one out of five auto accidents in the U.S. results from drowsy driving -- that's about 1 million crashes a year.” (webmd.com)
As well as being safe, sleep is also a health issue. Heart attacks and diabetes are linked to lack of sleep. It really is just better to give up your phone and get a good night sleep.

Honestly, there’s no real solution to this. Technology rules our life, and I don’t think people can go a day without checking their phone or computer. Sleep is very important and the average teenager should get about nine hours of sleep every night. I highly doubt half the kids I know are even getting eight hours. All I can suggest is that people don’t use their phone right before sleeping. You should have a short electronic-free time before you go to bed. Maybe read a little bit, (but not on a Kindle or Nook). If people don’t check their phone right before crawling into bed, I think they’ll be surprised at how much easier it is to sleep.

I think people should realize how their electronics are affecting them, mentally and physically.