Why You Should Care About Putting Lipstick on a Pig

“Why would anyone put lipstick on a pig?” my friend asked me the other day, her manner completely serious. Not all households are, or must be, politically charged, but we as young people are failing as citizens if we choose to remain unaware and uninterested in the events that are shaping our futures. Another of my friends is always telling me how much she hates politics. Unfortunately, politics is not so understanding as to limit its effects on the politically aware. Hate it or love it, the world that we inherit will be a tomorrow created by the politics of today.

By ignoring current affairs, we willingly make ourselves disastrously unprepared for our role as adults. How can one function well in the economy without being aware of it? How can one make sound and fair social or moral decisions without understanding the issues? How can one hate something justly without knowing anything about it?

It is necessary for people of voting age to become informed and develop their political views, then give those opinions a voice. Vote! By becoming an informed and active member of our democratic process, you are only helping yourself by choosing a leader that will further your interests and values. By participating in the voting process, you are continuing a tradition that has given America its strength and prosperity for over two centuries.

Even people like myself who do not yet have the opportunity to vote for the leader of this country need to care about political events. The day will come when there will be no one to make decisions for us. Politics is often an ugly, dirty business. This will not change when those who disapprove react by ignoring the democratic process. After all, one who chooses to “see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil” is nothing more than a blind, deaf, and dumb monkey.

The Narwal said...
Mar. 19 at 9:59 pm:
Dear Author, I full heartedly agree with you, young people coming of age should vote! I can't imagine it put better. The politics of today shape our future and our world. Young people that dont vote may be hurting our econemy. Vote! In 2012 only 45% of people 18-20 voted. It should be higher than 50% so our world can be shaped by the people who are going to actually live the longest on it. Again I completely agree with you! Respectfully, The Narwal

twirler girl said...
Jan. 20 at 4:09 pm:
dear syianlin, i read your article Why You Should Care About Putting Lipstick on a Pig, and feel like you could do better actually adressing why someone should care about pigs with lipstick on and how it relates to politics. how do pigs have to do with our political society, and what happens in it. calling people blind, deaf, and dumb monkeys probably will not influence people to learn about politics and saying it differently might. if you could explain how the title and article go togethe... (more »)

BethaniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 6:42 pm:
I don't understand how the title is good. Sorry. Why doid you chose that title?

ssarah said...
I agree with you 100%. I absolutely hate it when people say they hate politics..it is truly ignortant b/c politics is life! You're a great writer--loved this article.