Go Veggie With Style | Teen Ink

Go Veggie With Style MAG

By MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York
MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But that’s only one reason to be a vegetarian.

Vegetarians may live longer, healthier lives. There is a ­correlation between red meat consumption and diseases ­including osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones, ­diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and even acne. From an economic standpoint, it requires less land, money, and energy to produce foods for a vegetarian diet. While there are many benefits to being a vegetarian, only a handful of those who attempt to adopt this lifestyle succeed.

The most important quality is dedication. We are surrounded by meat. It would be easy to forgo vegetarianism at any moment and devour a steak. This is why vegetarians must be staunch and zealous.

Creativity is almost as important as commitment. It’s easy to tire of eating nothing but ­salad. But with a little creativity and some soy products, almost any meal can become vege­tarian-friendly. Many ethnic cuisines also offer abundant flavorful options. Studying these cultures is an excellent way to generate new ideas. Another is to go to a restaurant that specializes in vegetarian food. This can spark a plethora of creative ideas.

Since creativity is a necessary attribute, it is no coincidence that many vegetarians work in creative fields. Many brilliant individuals were vegetarians, including Socrates, Leonardo da Vinci, and Albert Einstein. Some current famous vegetarians are Madonna, Paul McCartney, ­Natalie Portman, Pink, and Milo Ventimiglia.

Not everyone wants to be a vegetarian. Accepting this is part of being a vegetarian with style. Forcing your beliefs on others, by subjecting them to long lectures on the nutritional benefits of not eating meat or shoving PETA fliers in their faces, is disrespectful. Stylish vegetarians should also be able to gracefully decline a meaty dish without offending their hosts. Another differentiating quality between the stylish and the un-stylish vegetarian is the ability to stick with it. The latter group can typically be overheard saying things like “I’m a vegetarian – I just eat chicken,” or “I haven’t eaten meat in ten days. I’m a vegetarian.”

Being educated is also important. Do your ­research about different types of vegetarians, and learn as much nutritional information as possible. Your goal as a stylish vegetarian is to be healthy, not trendy. Don’t become a vegetarian solely ­because a celebrity says it’s cool. People who do rarely stick with it for long.

Being a successful vegetarian has been easy for me – I’ve been one since I was born. My family is vegetarian, so no meat is available in my house. However, constantly being surrounded by others who eat meat, and sometimes those who are not accepting of vegetarianism, can be a challenge. To be successful, I’ve relied on personal traits like flexibility, since I’m often in situations where the food choices aren’t ideal.

A common mistake is quitting before your body has adjusted to the transition. It can be difficult to stay committed in the beginning because of temptation. How­ever, this fades over time.

Another common mistake is quitting because you’ve been misinformed about the ­nutritional wisdom of being a vegetarian. That’s why it is vital to be educated. Countless people will tell you that it’s impossible to obtain the nutrients and protein your body requires without meat, but they are incorrect. People actually need only 44 to 55 grams of protein a day, and that is easily found in a vegetarian diet. Many meat eaters are consuming triple that amount, which is not beneficial; on the contrary, it has been linked with Alz­heimer’s disease. Vegetables can also supply all the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs. However, if you’re still not convinced, you can take a multivitamin.

A society in which people have the constitutional right to live freely is well suited for vegetarians. If you need further convincing, read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. In a style comparable to Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle, Schlosser passionately exposes the dangers of eating meat. For great recipes, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman has got you covered.

Vegetarianism is an important cause that more people should support. PETA estimates that every vegetarian saves over a hundred animals a year. Not only is being a vegetarian healthy, but it also has a positive impact on the world.

NC BRONZE said...
NC BRONZE, Shanghai, Other

Beneath the mask, there is more than flesh.
Beneath this mask, there is an idea,
And ideas are bulletproof.

I am a flexitarian, and I would admit the advantages of consuming vegetables. But, on the other hand, sometimes eating some red meat is also good for your health!

on Dec. 10 2019 at 9:21 am
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
Good luck surviving when the food runs out!

on Dec. 10 2019 at 9:18 am
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
Actually, recent studies show that there is no correlation between consumption of red meat and disease, and many of the older folks that have eaten red meat for their entire lives have lived long, happy lives. The real problem is sugar and starch consumption, including grains such as rice and wheat, which contain glucose. This causes problems with kidneys and pancreas, and the body's ability to create insulin.

Dani said...
So mature for a 7th grader. Beautiful story. I cantell how much yo miss your dad. Thank you for your sacrifice for the rest of us.

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison
"Don't think or judge. Just listen." -Sarah Dessen

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

on Apr. 14 2015 at 11:41 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

Ok just for context i do not hate any type of vegetarian/vegan diets or any people who might decide to become one but being a vegetarian does not take being zealous its just being stubborn and unhealthy im my opinion and again im not trying to hate on vegetarians i just in my OWN opinion think vegetarianism is quite a dumb concept

on Apr. 14 2015 at 11:39 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

Yes there are the select few out there who abuse animals but there are so many others who adore animals but arent vegetarian so if you decide you dont want to become a vegetarian just out of the blue someday dont judge your self us here at teenink understand :D

on Apr. 14 2015 at 11:32 am
Clinton_C. BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Clever girl"

Not unless you need the animal or if its attacking you yourself

Monique17 said...
You just contradicted yourself. You think it is wrong to eat animals, yet you raise them just so that they will be killed? Absolutely disgusting. And just so you know, killing an animal IS animal cruelty.

countrygirl28 GOLD, Colleyville, Texas

First of all, I love your article. It is well-informed and thought out. I am a vegetarian, as well, and have been for for about a year and half. It is very easy for me since I don't even like meat. I hardly ate it before I became a vegetarian, and now I don't eat it at all. I am positive that I will never eat meat again. It's just not appetizing to me. Plus, I am a HUGE animal lover. The ironic thing is that I acutally raise lambs for human consumption through FFA, so people ask me how it's possible that I don't eat meat. It's simple: Why would I want to eat animals when I'm around them every day and see their unique personalities? Why would I have any desire whatsoever to eat something that was once living? I don't see animals as meat. To me, that's just gross. I absolutely hate sending my animals to the meat truck. It's disgusting and makes me feel terrible. Yet, I still love raising the animals and showing them, so that's why I continue to do what I do. I'm not in FFA to eat my animals; I'm in it to gain agricultural experience. Animals each have character, personality, and emotions. I think animal cruelty is extremely sick, and I will never take part in it. That being said, I am not offended when others eat meat, but I'm not going to be apart of it. 

I agree 100%. Even the sight of meat makes me want to vomit sometimes. I wouldn't be able to eat it if I tried and I've only been vegetarian for a little over a month. It would've been 3 months, but my dad made me eat salmon a little while ago. It tasted like cardboard.

But you really don't need as much protein as you think. I'm on varsity swim at my school, so I need lots of protein. I'm a vegetarian. I don't even really have to go out of my way to get the recommended 63 grams. Just a Greek yogurt, a couple glasses of milk and some peanut butter.