The works of Tim Burton | Teen Ink

The works of Tim Burton

By hernameisjami BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama
hernameisjami BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama

From Beetlejuice to Batman From The Nightmare Before Christmas to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Tim Burton has used his unique and signature styles to make audiences fall in love with his work.Using his own personal techniques Burton stands out from other directors, and he creates emotion, adds certain twist to  the story, and uses the audience's fear to make the stories seem better.By utilizing his space and resources around him Burton is able to add his own personal taste to a film to separate his work from others, including lighting techniques  and movement of the camera.Over time people and trends change even so Burton has been able to keep each generation happy even as the audience's perspective has changed.“Woerner, Meredith. “10 Things You'll See in Almost Every Tim Burton Movie.”. pointed out that over time even though the time and people have changed Burton still kept some techniques that he was known for in his films. For instance in one of his old films, Hansel and Gretel(1983 version) Burton has very suspenseful scenes. By watching these films it will be shown that Burton utilizes all his space and uses his props and resources. In most of Burton’s films he tries to inflict fear or scary humor. He did this in Hansel and Gretel with their mother. The mother was “scary” looking but mostly funny.From the 1970s to the 2010s Burton has been wowing audiences with his camera work, one technique he uses is stop-motion animation. “Tim Burton-The Shot/Camera Techniques, Jordan Fogerson, 18 Apr. 2012,” agrees that  Burton uses a little bit of stop-motion animation or in some of his films to add a little bit of humor.Burton uses animation in only a few of his films including, “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and “Corpse Bride”. Burton uses animation to create a childish type of humor, but this humor is not only for children, people of all ages enjoy it. These well known classics have been enjoyed by people everywhere which is why Burton is so well known.Burton’s movement of the camera also sets him apart from other directors, it shows the “Tim Burton-The Shot/Camera Techniques, Jordan Fogerson, 18 Apr. 2012,” is in agreeance with me that the way Burton moves the camera stands out . Two types of movements Burton uses is the Dutch angle and the point-of-view shot. He uses the Dutch angle to create tension within the audience. Burton uses the point-of-view shot to make the audience see what a certain character sees.These were just some of Burton’s personal techniques there are many more including, close ups, suspense, angle shots, and more.“Tim Burton-The Shot/Camera Techniques, Jordan Fogerson, 18 Apr. 2012,”agrees that Burton’s techniques are used commonly in his films and they make him a very famous and successful director.All these techniques play important roles in Burton’s films. Using these techniques have made Burton very good at directing and one of the most wanted directors.

I wrote this piece for a class project, but as writing this piece I discovered things abut Tim Burton and his directing styles that interested me.