Jessie J and Her Songs | Teen Ink

Jessie J and Her Songs

By Random100 DIAMOND, Iloilo, Other
Random100 DIAMOND, Iloilo, Other

I love Jessie J. But I'll understand if you won't believe me.

My bedroom walls aren't plastered-up with her posters. My study table doesn't have any merchandise with her face printed on it. I don't go to her concerts even if I really want to. And I don't even have any of her albums. But I can explain myself. First, I don't have my own room. I sleep with my younger brother who doesn't like Jessie J (I respect that). And second, I can't afford to travel and buy even a single CD. I just download her songs from the Internet and save it in my phone forever. Then, I let Jessie drift me away with her you-give-me-goosebumps voice and I-need-to-hear-it-again lyrics.

Jessie J sings my life. I first heard her in the track "Price Tag". The moment I heard the song, I felt my feet were glued on the ground, and a realization came rushing like an ambulance. I had been a type of person who chooses money and materialistic things to fill my happiness. One concrete example was when my cousin invited me to his birthday party, and I rejected it because I had already planned my Saturday for a video game I borrowed from my classmate. The game entertained me but I got disappointed somehow. Well, I missed the fun; my cousin and my friends were so happy as they shared what they did during the party. The song really hit me hard.

Jessie also has this song "Who You Are" which everyone can relate to. We, teens, can't avoid the phase of our lives when we are trapped between two sexualities. Even Jessie encountered this kind of situation, and she didn't deny it. She confessed about her sexual preference; she dated boys and girls. And that was all. By staying true to herself as what the song suggests, she got over it amidst criticisms. Jessie taught me to wear your own shoes even if they are mismatched. After all, "Nobody's Perfect".

Like my idol, she also experienced being bullied. Words in a knife form had once pierced my soul. But the encouraging lyrics of one of her songs boost and made me feel how strong I was to endure the pain. I learned from her that in the end, I would be the last person who will ask the bully, "Who's Laughing Now"?

Jessie J is my "Flashlight" and "Laserlight". She lights and shows me the way as I journey in the darkest roads of this world. Her songs teach me to seek hope. She teaches me to sing what is true. She reflects that it's alright if you aren't that famous as long as you know yourself. That even she's not one of those skinny barbies who take the limelight, she's still a "Masterpiece". I am a masterpiece.

To my idol, I got all I need when I got you and I.