I'm Famous, but I Don't Know Why | Teen Ink

I'm Famous, but I Don't Know Why

By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California

I’m sure most of you people have heard about “Alex from Target.” I know I have.

There are so many things wrong with that whole fandom, but what annoys me is that there are a million other people out there who deserve their “ffteen minutes of fame” way more than he does.

But it’s not just about “Alex from Target.” Oh, and did I mention he doesn’t even work at target anymore? I know I’m not the only person practically screaming because of how unbelievable stupid this whole circus is. How do you get famous from just one picture?

The problem is that we teenagers don’t really how much of an impact social media has on everyone. As teenagers, we are the ones who are making people famous, just by the click of a button. Unfortunately, not everyone realizes this. I’m sure that “Alex from Target” is a great kid, but can someone please refresh my memory on why the kid is famous?

What’s worse is that now he’s on tour, and the people in the entertainment business actually expect people to pay to go see some guy who worked at Target for a living. Like really?

And I know that his tour is going to be sold out, because there are just so many people out there dying to meet a former Target employee.

Trust me, these sort of things don’t happen anywhere else but the “land of opportunity.”

Why is it that we live in a society where so many people are famous for virtually nothing? Many can argue that this is a good thing, because it gives people more of a chance at attaining their goal of being “famous.” But, do we really want to watch people like Kim Kardashian rise to fame? 

I love social media and I think it’s a great way for people to share their passion for whatever is the norm in the teenage world. Take the ALS Ice bucket Challenge for example. It’s really fascinating how millions of people all over the world were able to take part in something so positive for a change. Now, I’m sure that half those people don’t even know what ALS is, but that’s not the point.

The point is that many people are becoming famous for really inane things. Shouldn’t we feel a tiny bit ashamed that these people are representing America’s entertainment industry? Why can’t people who actually deserve it become famous? Why can’t people who have a talent or something real to share with the world (other than bagging groceries) become an idol to all those bored teenage girls out there.

It’s kind of sad how our generation is making people famous merely because of their looks, while others work so hard to share their what they have with the world.

What is wrong with society?