Bob Marley Legacy | Teen Ink

Bob Marley Legacy

January 8, 2015
By Johnathon H. BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
Johnathon H. BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“In this bright future you can’t forget your past.” Bob stayed true to his words and most certainly didn’t forget his past. It shows in his songs and in the way he lived his simple life. He is an iconic figure not just of reggae music, but of music all together. You can listen to his music almost anywhere. He deserves to be appreciated by all because of where he came from, how he’s popularized reggae music, and because of the legacy he’s left behind.
Robert Nesta Marley, more commonly known as Bob Marley, grew up on his grandfather’s farm in Nine Mile, Saint Ann Parish, Jamaica. He attended middle school and high school, but never college. When Bob was only ten years old his father died of a heart attack. Since his father was always away he was not very close to him. Bob started to play music when he was in elementary school. He played with his friends. They would one day become The Wailers, a prominent reggae band.


After playing together for years The Wailers had wrote and performed many songs. That performed all around the world and were very successful. Marley’s Jamaican accent gave his music a spiritual effect. His accent synthesized perfectly with the content in his songs. Bob often sung against the imperialist ideals that had oppressed many African People. The last words that Marley said to his son, Ziggy, before dying were “, Money can’t buy life .” This idea was a common theme in his music.


Bob Marley has left behind a legacy that no one can replace. His songs characterize him while describing his unique, Rastafarian ways and his beliefs. He won many awards and honors. Marley is the most popular reggae musician of all time, he is the king of reggae. He deserves to be appreciated by all because of his past, his popularity, and the gift of music he’s left behind. Bob Marley can simply not be forgotten.