Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Proud to be an American

By Tucker16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Tucker16 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

“I WANT YOU FOR US ARMY” -- we have seen this on posters, and online, but have you thought about what it means?  Thousands of men and women sign up to go overseas and put their life on the line to keep us and our allies safe.  I am proud that there are so many American Citizens willing to risk their lives, not only for us, but also for other countries.

“A veteran -- whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America,’ for an amount of ‘up to and including THEIR LIFE,’"  said an actress named  LeeAnne Locken.  She said this on Veterans Day 2013, in honor of our veterans, and heroes.

I am proud that we have so many American men and women who are willing to lose their lives to defend our freedom.

Not only are we able to protect our country, but we are also able to safeguard the best interests of our allies.  Out of all other countries, we have more people willing to join the military.  Every person recruited to go overseas has a chance of death, but they are still willing to fight for you and I.

I am not proud of American amusement parks, national parks, or our cities.  Instead, I am proud of the people who fight to keep our freedom.  That is what I am proud of being an American. Americans don’t ask, they just give, and they give something greater than any other form of payment: their lives.  I hope that every one of these men and women make it home safe. They are making me--and the rest of this country--proud.

My family members have served in the military, including my grandfather, great grandfather, and my stepfather.  My loved ones have put their lives on the line to protect you, me, and America.