Little Beauty Queens | Teen Ink

Little Beauty Queens

July 26, 2014
By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
27 articles 4 photos 3 comments

What does self-confidence mean to you? To many people, it means having the ability to stand up and do what’s right. Child beauty pageants teach little girls that self-confidence is measured only by beauty. These contests for children breed narcism and are bad for a child’s development. Many six year olds are forced to go on diets. As these girls age into teenagers and young women, bulimia is a huge concern.

Are beauty pageants for children really necessary? They teach children bad morals and force them to do inappropriate things. Some parents believe that beauty pageants teach their children confidence, and are a good way to earn some money for college. But, is parading around on a stage, wearing makeup and provocative clothes and blowing kisses really the best way to teach a child confidence? There are better ways to make children believe in themselves. Beauty pageants aren’t cheap. The entry fee for some of the most prestigious events is thousands of dollars. The child beauty pageant entertainment business feeds on little girls dressing and acting beyond their age and that is unfortunately how they make their money. Pageant moms force their daughters to wear tons of makeup and low cut tops. Six year olds are taught to talk and act like teenagers. Children wear makeup, hairspray, and get spray tanned. Hairspray isn’t only unnecessary and inappropriate for three year olds, but it has many dangerous chemicals in it, that can affect the child. TV shows like Toddlers and Tiaras encourage children to enter beauty contests. Because of this, some little girls are destroying their childhood and setting a path for themselves that isn’t always the right one. I believe that beauty pageants for children have a bad influence on little girls and should be banned.


The author's comments:
I just wanted people to know what pageants are doing to young girls today in society.