Why do Certain Women Rule Hollywood? | Teen Ink

Why do Certain Women Rule Hollywood?

Due to the many red carpet events lately, the fashion reports are at an all time high and magazines are very captious toward certain famous people. After watching Fashion Police and E! News on top of reading a plethora of People and US magazines, it is obvious that there are definitely stars that most of America hates and celebrities that everyone loves. Certain Hollywood royals can take abstract risks and it somehow works for the “fashionable eye,” while others wear the wrong colored shoes and get scrutinized. This seems extreme to let some celebrities off so easily? What is it about these well-known big shots that allow them to do anything they want and be let off the hook? Three names really embody the title of “America’s Favorite” and are very respected role models in Hollywood: Jennifer Lawrence, Lupita Nyong’o, and Angelina Jolie. They can do absolutely nothing wrong. Let us examine just how they earned this prized position.
Jennifer Lawrence really became popular soon after the Hunger Games movie premiered in 2012. She played Katniss Everdeen. People became obsessed with her persona. She also earned tremendous fame for Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle. She is such a great actress, which is evident from her Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild Award, Critics Choice Award, and MTV Movie Award. There is no doubt that she has talent, almost all well known actress’s do. So what makes her different and how does she stand out? She is proud of the way she looks. In the age of social media, with anorexia being encouraged, it is refreshing to hear of an actress who “would rather look a little chubby on camera and look like a person in real life.” She also worked hard to get where she is today; acting was not just handed to her. She completed high school in two years and managed to keep a 3.9 GPA in order to move to New York from Kentucky to act. She is smart and quick witted during interviews. In addition, that tenacity is evident to all of her fans. She wants to do what she does and she completely loves it. People accept her for who she is because she accepts herself. Even when Jennifer recently fell at the Oscars—again—people applauded her. She can take any embarrassing situation and make it comedic. She is not afraid to be her klutzy, goofy self. Jennifer is one of the few stars that has stayed grounded because she realizes that she is “not saving anybody’s life. There are doctors who save lives and firemen who run into burning buildings. [She is] making movies. It's stupid.'” That is why everyone loves her.
Lupita is one of the biggest celebrities to become famous so quickly. She is an African American woman who has made a tremendous impact despite all odds. Lupita was acclaimed for her role in “Twelve Years a Slave” which is evident by the fact that she won an Academy Award for best supporting actress, along with other honors. She has also become the new hot topic in the fashion world. She makes bold choices that everyone adores. I think it is safe to say that she is the only person capable of pulling off an electric blue dress and wearing an elegant gold headband. She is gorgeous but that is not the reason she can pull off these styles. She is comfortable in her own skin (literally). In her acceptance speech of Best Breakthrough Performance at the seventh Annual Black Women in Hollywood luncheon, her inner exquisiteness had shone through to complement the confident outer splendor. She remembered a time when, “[she] too felt un-beautiful.” This was the point in her career when an actress transforms into an icon. She was comforting a girl who sent her a letter regarding her dark skin color. However, Lupita does not just touch on problems in the black community, she hits on issues all people have with beauty. She connected with every person that listened to the speech. This is not the first time she has raised awareness to help others. She directed, edited, and produced In My Genes based on the topic of Albinism in Kenya. Not to mention, she also became a star in Shuga, a Kenyan television show backed by MTV/UNICEF to teach adolescents about HIV. She does so much good globally, which is why America appreciates her presence.
Angelina Jolie is the third person in Hollywood that is perfect in every aspect. Her breakout role was in 1998 in the television film Gia. This won her a Gold Globe Award for Best Actress. Other renowned films that she has starred in are Taking Lives, The Mighty Heart, Challenging, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and Salt. She is notorious for her off-screen relationships as well. For example, her relationship with Brad Pitt is very publicized as Bradgelina. Together they contribute so much to the world. They have six children and have adopted three of them. The major reason Angelina is allowed to do anything she wants and is supported is because of her humanitarian efforts. She is a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency in 2001. In addition she worked to get aid for refugees in Darfur, Cambodia, and Jordan. In 2005 Jolie was awarded with the Global Humanitarian Action Award from UN of USA for her activism. Even to this day she is spreading awareness of global issues. Besides people appreciated her humanitarian efforts, people appreciate how she responds to her own difficulties. She said that she, “made a decision to have a preventative double mastectomy,” due to the fact the she had an 87% risk of breast cancer and 50% risk of ovarian cancer. She wanted to do whatever was possible to save herself for her family. She takes risk and everyone applauds her for it for this reason.
These three women—Jennifer, Lupita, and Angelina—are superstars that are permitted to be themselves without any judgment. They all had hardships, accepted the fact, learned to not care what anyone else thinks, and are themselves. These women are role models that are relatable to the public. They show that women can have more power in the world than men have. These women stand out more than the surfeit of other actors and actresses (that only have good looks going for them) because of their inner beauty. That is the reason why E! and Access Hollywood have nothing negative to say about these people—including their fashion sense. Without looking at their back-stories and personalities, nobody would understand how they earned this position in the world.