Review: GRAVITY Takes Flight to Success | Teen Ink

Review: GRAVITY Takes Flight to Success

January 20, 2014
By meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

GRAVITY, directed by Oscar nominee Alfonso Cuaron, came out in theaters on October 4, 2013. The PG-13 film stars Oscar winners Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in a heart-pounding and suspenseful thriller. The film takes you through a tough journey through space that pulls you to the edge of your seat in the realm of deep space.
Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant space engineer on her first shuttle mission with her copilot veteran astronaut, Matt Kowalsky who is played by Clooney. On what seems to be a seemingly smooth space walk, disaster strikes quickly. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky alone in the cold, dark space, losing oxygen by the minute.
GRAVITY gets a thumbs up review as the movie leads you into space for an hour and a half. You will feel fully transported into space in orbit. It was as close to real as I could ever imagine a movie on a screen to be; the imagery was absolutely amazing.
Bullock’s performance, despite her bod in odd restraints in her struggles with the seat belts and being upside down in the space ships, was phenomenal. I wouldn’t argue with a Best Actor Oscar at all. Bullock was full of emotion, appropriate for the environment in the film, and her acting had enough power to make you feel the emotions she was portraying; it was so powerful.
Clooney’s performance added humor and a twist to the dark and mysterious environment with his one-liners. Clooney’s character plays a humorous but selfless man who would give up his life for Dr. Stone.
GRAVITY received glowing reviews on the internet, very few being negative. GRAVITY’s performance cost $80 million to create and brought in $199.6 million in the box office. The film has a well deserved 97% Rotten Tomatoes success rate from its viewers. The movie plays in theaters and IMAX cinemas for two months after it came out.
GRAVITY took flight in the box office and on internet reviews. The movie was an outstanding success that deserved every positive comment.