Tax Junk Food | Teen Ink

Tax Junk Food

By GodsTreasure BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
GodsTreasure BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

" In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"-Shing Xiong

Two years ago my grandmother went to the doctor. They informed her that she would be diagnosed with obesity due to her extensive weight gain. Immediately, she wanted to change her daily intake of the junk food she eats. As time increased, her weight decreased, so I began analyzing the situation. I believe that the government should impose a fat tax on junk food.

Initially, taxing junk food would reduce the number of obese people in America. In the article, it stated that “obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the USA.” Thus, increasing the price of junk food will cause the number of obese Americans to increase. While some think that taxing junk food would be a horrible idea; they may be just considering the satisfaction on their tongues. Most Americans don’t know that obesity could cause a more dramatic cause to their lives.

Moreover, junk food should be taxed to decrease the number of obese deaths in America. In the article, it states “300,000 Americans die each year of obesity – related causes”. Thus, obesity is killing everyone; if the junk food was taxed a lot of obese Americans would be relucknet to buy it and eat it. While some think that taxing junk food is a way the government stays nosey, then those people don’t care about their health. The enormous number of obese Americans is equivalent to the enormous money intake.

Finally, taxing junk food would reduce the funds on public health tolls for each year. In the article, it states “given the enormous public health toll obesity takes on this country each year, it is time dedicate more resources to fighting the epidemic …”. Thus, obesity has caused the public health toll to increase each year. While some think obesity is a personal issue, it’s not, it is effecting everyone including the economy. You as an individual should want to take care of yourself.

Overall, the government should impose a fat tax on junk food; that will reduce the number of obese Americans, reduce the amount of deaths due to obesity , and it will reduce the funds on the public health tolls each year. In light of my grandmother’s medical scare, I have a strong feeling toward the government imposing a fat tax on junk food. It will help many families not lose each other from obesity.

Robby said...
I love this article I think this is the best thing I ever saw. I agree completely.

Rob Sam said...
Oh my god this is the best thing i ever saw. I love you so much!