I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

AvengedJasonFold said...

Ooh hating on a popstar... bold...

welcome to the world of a metalhead.

ngl00 said...

PS... I agree with medina d.

you should be a crtic someday and i thought it was bold that you could go aginst the peer pressure nd express your feelings. :-)

ngl00 said...

im glad somebody finally realized what she is saying in her songs!! Everyone likes her , but dont really realize the message she is trying to put out there...

Anyways, i thought your review was awesome...   :-)

clumsy_one123 said...

oh my gosh THANK YOU. i thought i was the only 16 year old girl who hated lady gaga.

and to those who say shes a great inspiration and example to other girls... inspiration to do what? sing songs with dirty lyrics and wear slutty clothes? i dont think thats the kind of "inspiration" girls need.

scoot413 said...
I get what you're trying to tell us and i understand how u feel! But, i think what gaga's trying to do is to give off inspiration to other girls. It can go either way! great story!

Hrrr replied...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm :
INPIRATION FOR GIRLS TO DO WHAT? GET ALL SEXED UP???

scoot413 replied...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm :
no to be creative and let them be themselves.

thelastharpy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This made me smile so much! I'm glad someone finally gets it. <3

jen920 said...

I did not expect this article to get this much attention! I've read all your comments, and I very much appreciate all your feedback.

To be honest, I wrote this in haste. It's not the most well-researched or well-written article out there. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'm swayed by the writing in this piece.

But I stand by my intended purpose, which was this: I think for all her show and glitz, there isn't much substance. My concern isn't with what kind of clot... (more »)

z0mbie said...
I agree with you completely. This piece says it all...

MadisonReneeJane said...
Well, if you don't think fashion is an art form or a way of expressing yourself I could see where you're coming from. But what I don't understand is how you can say something like, "...telling us it's okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package." What I got from this was that you don't like how Lady Gaga had to change herself to be famous. But she obviously likes the change, because if she didn't she wouldn't be as elabroate and colorful as she is because she already has the ... (more »)

BumbleBee82 said...
ur mean i like lady gaga jk lol i dont like her

Medina D. said...

great work. u could b a critic someday

and i am SO GLAD some1 decided 2 look past the money & the sex and think about something important :)

clairexaudrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love this. I'm happy that there are some people who aren't afraid to question music artists and the music industry, especially in such a thought-provoking and poetic manner. Good job(:

tomorrowdarling replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm :
and i agree with you as well. i don't have a problem with her at all but after i read this it gave me a different outlook on her :] DEFINITELY great writing :] mad props ;]

starrr7 said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 11:14 am:
personally i do like Lady Gaga, but this article gave me a new perspective on her...which should be the point of writing, good job!

Amnoona said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 8:09 am:

Loooveee thiss! Seriously! This is such a great review!

Your writing style is awesome.. I <3 the way you string together your words, it's so poetic & well-spoken.

What's more is that every point you made is so valid and though it's your opinion I don't think anyone can disagree with this because what you say is the complete truth!

cripnation907 replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 4:33 pm :
what..............

Amnoona replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 7:51 am :
???.......

TuffGurl said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 6:37 am:

I used to love modern music, but now I like punk rock from the seventies, motown, and classic rock. And Drake. I <3 Drake, because I just do. But anyway, I used to like Lady Gaga, and now I realize what she is and how us, as a whole in America, are turning out to be. We are arrogant and we need a woman in a mask, a few wigs, wearing a cone-bra or sparkles bra and panties singing about sex, drugs, and money to catch our attention. It is pathetic. I wish that Lady Gaga was normal and gotten ... (more »)