I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

April 2, 2010
By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen


Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?



I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 471 comments.


Lady Gaga said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 11:18 am

Well, I don't like you very much either! -_-

Excuse me, but I never seen you get like, what? TEN grammys? Too much to fu*king count anyways. So, SCREW YOU!

                     Love, Mother Monster


on Apr. 12 2011 at 10:22 pm
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
109 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

I'm an almost-sixteen-year-old American girl and I don't like Lady Gag (not a typo) either!

Great article.


on Apr. 12 2011 at 10:44 am
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

Me to. =) =) =)

 


on Apr. 12 2011 at 10:43 am
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

This article is complete and utter blasphamy! So what if she likes inspiring young adults? This article only shows the bad side of her. I personally like Lady GaGa. I will admit that sometimes she can act a bit crazy, but maybe she has a weird forign desiese!!!!!!!! So SHUT UP!

Tayrl BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 2:38 am
Tayrl BRONZE, Rockhampton, Other
4 articles 2 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon

While I myself dont like Lady Gaga's music, I have a sort-of respect for her because one of my friends showed me a video of her playing for a morning tv show and I have to admit, I was amazed at how talented she was!

Unlike other popular singers, like Ke$ha, she actually showed some talent. In the video she was playing the piano and singing at the same time. And she was playing hte piano WELL. How many other celebrities actually possess musical talent?


This being said, I still dont have to like her music or how she manipulates the media. But I also dont have to rant and rave about how " fake, cliche, obsessed" she is.

I dont belive there is bad music. There is only what you don't like, and what you do like. Don't force your opinion onto other people by saying that one particular music is "bad" just because you dont like it. As many people dont like Lady Gaga as how many DO like her. 


on Apr. 11 2011 at 7:33 pm
MallorieSkerbeck, Port Angeles, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Oh my goodness, this is a completely and uttlerly superb article. I don't even 'not like' Lady GaGa per se, but in your writing you approach the subject with such non ignorance. It delights me to read the awareness and not just some other biased rant on why someone doesn't like Lady Gaga 'cause shes dumb' or loves Lady Gaga because 'she's awesome, duhhh!'

hollex2014 said...
on Apr. 11 2011 at 12:05 pm
If you really knew anything about Lady Gaga, you would know that the lightning bolt she wears across her face is a tribute to David Bowie! The fame monster thing maybe about money and what if it is? And why does it really matter? She is doing what she loves and she is inspiring people!

Madgie BRONZE said...
on Apr. 7 2011 at 11:13 pm
Madgie BRONZE, Antioch, California
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Ah, you conveyed how I feel about Lady Gaga rather well. She used to be a completely different person, and the message she sends of being yourself is a good one, but she's rather hypocritical.


Lady Gaga seems like a nice person, and  the message she sends is good, but... telling people to be yourself just doesn't work when you changed yourself completely to become famous.


Fate98 GOLD said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 8:27 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other
11 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

Lady GaGa is what wecall original. Ever heard of it? Have you had the guts to try it? She clearly likes all this madness that makes up her personality. Whats it to you, just let her do her thing and what makes her happy. She puts 110% into making her show amazing and to amaze her fans. Whats in the charts is all the same rubbish week after week. At least she puts a little flavour into it.

annelindy said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 7:09 am

Don't care about respect?

well, a real guy will fight for what he can't have--what he can't see right off the bat. If he likes you for more than your body, then he's definitely a keeper 'cause  he sees who you are. Unless all you are is your body, idk. 


WriterGeek<3 said...
on Apr. 4 2011 at 9:55 pm
Well i guess some "little monsters" like me don't care :)

WriterGeek<3 said...
on Apr. 4 2011 at 9:53 pm
I absolutely agree. :) :) :)

WriterGeel<3 said...
on Apr. 4 2011 at 9:52 pm
I love Lady Gaga. However you wrote a very good opinionated article. I would like to bring something to your attention: Lady Gaga started out as a person sitting somewhere writing songs for Britney Spears and other artists. She brought herself up to where she is now and she started at the bottom. Even if you don't like Lady Gaga she deserves a LOT of respect. Love you Gaga! :)

on Mar. 31 2011 at 11:03 pm
Zarianwen SILVER, Marinette, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. --Walter Wellesley

Thank you.

on Mar. 31 2011 at 9:08 pm
ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

I think you had a great article, but I think you left out a key point on one of the reasons why Lady Gaga is making it.

Her Voice.

Just listen to her live. She can go high, low, belt it, dance while singing, everything. 

Yes, I am a Lady Gaga fan, but I don't think she does it for attention. I think she did it to show that you can be yourself no matter what.

But again, great article. :)


on Mar. 31 2011 at 7:14 pm
AJMendler SILVER, Undisclosed, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be an individual. Do not be someone who you dream about being because you'll never accomplish anything if your a fake."
-Myself
We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thanks! I was stating my opinion I mean its just sad, they also dont know what it is like to live in poverty. I went to a 3rd world country and it showed me things they cannot imagine!

on Mar. 31 2011 at 5:57 pm
TrulyRosa BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Play the wrong note and we'll all b[e] flat."

Thanks:) I agree with you. One of the things why I don't like most of the celebs out there right now is that they try too hard to fit in I guess, because that's how the media wants them to be. Celebs that are different in the good way are the ones that I admire;)

I'll check out your poems sometime!;]


annelindy said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 3:18 pm

Most all of the popular celebs through history have to be bad in order to make it big in the industry. It's really sad when such GOOD celebs and singers are out there and NO ONE cares 'cause they're not 'bad' enough to be popular. That's so wrong.

Heard of Melody Joy? She's such a  better alternative than Ke$ha. Heard of Group1Crew? They're better than Black Eyed Peas.

If you think I'm wrong, take a serious look yourself. Ponder the words. What's really going on?

I could list alot more artists out there who go unnoticed to most, even when they have outstanding messages to share. :)   


annelindy said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 3:10 pm
Totally agreed!! I like the phrase 'modest is hottest' and how wearing skimpy things really doesn't attract REAL LOVE from mature guys who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated: with respect 

annelindy said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 3:07 pm

I agree with you, Rosa21. I only like one of her songs but most of all it's like 'why do you have to conform like this???' Unfortunately they have to in order to be popular, and nobody supports those who DARE to be different.

Check out my poems if you'd like to sometime!! =D