I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

fyreflies said...
May 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm:
We do need another David Bowie. I'm tired of these people who think they're so different, but are they really? This is why I won't allow myself, an avid musician, to go into music outside of school, because people out there want you to be things that you aren't. So, thanks, society? :P

Free- said...
May 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm:
I don't like nor dislike LAdy Gaga's songs and costumes. I find her an anomoly also. She's very different, but I kind of like how different she is. I hope she can stay unique and encourage others to be unique. But sometimes it also seems like a front, and that she's going to collapse under all the stress. Only time will tell.

DaliaB said...
May 14, 2011 at 11:10 am:
Some people look at Lady Gaga's "crazy" clothes, hair, and makeup and her "poppy" music.  If you look past that, and really consider her music/music videos, you can really see she's making an artistic statement.  Ex. the "Telephone" music video is a social commentary on American consumerism, "Judas" is a creative mix of biblical characters and the modern world, etc.  Plus, Gaga CAN sing.  You can't argue against that.

Mariam.JThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 14, 2011 at 5:34 am:

Really good article. She isn't one of my favourite artists, though her music is quite entertainiment.

Singing songs which are against a certain religion is unacceptable . Judas? Seriously ?

It's kinda weird. She says you gotta be fine with who you are , but why'd she change to get noticed? She definitely wasn't 'born this way' . o.O

Hypocritical , I must say .

Really good article , once again (:

sarah4president said...
May 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm:
totally agree!

starlight26 said...
Thank you for this!!!!! Yeah, she may have had some decent songs but what you just said is what ive been trying to say for soo long! I AGREE ONE HUNDRED PERCENT! :))))

hungergames_love said...
I think you bring up some great points here. I am one of the people who thinks her costumes and antics are outrageously irritating. You want to really shock us? Dress normally.

AnotherJesusFreak said...
I totally agree! I used to like her music at first and then she becaue this... well, you stated perfectly what she became and what she is. I think its horrible that our youth looks up to people like her.

And her new song "Judas", don't even get me started on that.

browneyedcat said...
You know, I used to absolutely adore her. But after she released 'telephone' 'bad romance' and 'born this way' I started to see that she really is struggling to maintain her status. The songs sound the same, her performances are getting more ridiculous and her messages all mean the same thing. I completely stopped listening after her rip-off of a song called 'born this way' which was really just a remake of maddonas song. I completely agree with and am glad someone took a stand and said somethin... (more »)

LuvFearlessly13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I completely agree and you put that wonderfully. It is insulting and offensive, especially to women. She makes us looks like freaks. Like we'll give into whatever a guy wants. I think you all kniw what I'm talking about. And You can be famous WITHOUT the use of blasphemy. Honestly. It's AWFUL! And I can't stand how people are obsessed with her.

alexisaltman This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. I don't like her either.

Britty(: said...
Maybe she wants to be different? Why do people have to be normal to be popular? Thats what the problem is. I love crazy. Its awesome. Like im sure your mom has told you since you were little , "If everyone was the same , life would be boring" Let her dress, act, and behave how she wants. Its her life, You have the right to not like her BUT you don't have the right to judge her.

kelsee727 said...
Hmm. I've never thought of her that way. She is almost hypocritical. Especially with her new song Born This Way. If she is okay with who she is then why is she wearing ridiculous clothing that makes it to where all eyes are on her. Though I don't know her as a person, so I'm not going to entirely judge her. I just find her a bit hypocritical now that I think about it. Well written article by the way.

Eleanor22 said...
That post was directed to the Lady Gaga comment below

Eleanor22 said...
Even if you are Lady Gaga that doesn't give you the right to act like a jerk to people. So what? People aren't going to like you that's what you get if you are famous!!!

Eleanor22 said...
You actually made a really good point. I never looked at it that way.

kiera cook said...
that comment was directed to" Lady  GaGa"

kiera cook said...
Maybe you dont like her but I do. she is speaking her mind, if you want "Pro-GaGa" then go write an opinion yourself.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't like her either.  I found a video on youtube of pictures of her before she was lady gaga, and she was so pretty!  I mean, you can make a statement and get to be well known without walking around with no pants on!  And she hides how pretty she actually is under all those wigs.  I don't get it.  I feel like she's a little, well, disturbed, or messed up in her head.  I mean, when she talks about herself, she seems to nice and all, but she still creeps me out in... (more »)

Lady Gaga said...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:18 am:

Well, I don't like you very much either! -_-

Excuse me, but I never seen you get like, what? TEN grammys? Too much to fu*king count anyways. So, SCREW YOU!

Love, Mother Monster