Twilight: Good or Bad?

By , Fontana, CA
I’ve been on both sides of the Twilight sensation. The completely unrestrained fangirl and a very mean hater. What can I say? I experience a lot of changes in emotion. Right now, I have to be neutral. The Twilight books, to many, I suppose, are escapist novels. It’s a romance series that entice girls to find that perfect boy who will love them no matter what. I can see that and that book really speaks to the soul at times. The books do have a good storyline, not the best but an acceptable one. The most interesting part of the books are the remake of vampires, from something feared to something loved. The way Mrs. Meyer makes the Cullens such kind souls that know how to love really caught the attention on many readers. In my opinion, the first book, Twilight, has to be the best. It is a great beginning to the series and they get steadily worse. I cried in New Moon, every single time I read it, and I’ve read it hundreds of times. I cried even though I knew what was going to happen. That was a great twist and I loved it. I love sad stories… :) But as I read on, Jacob came in and became a werewolf. Okay, twist again, but a not so exciting one. And of course, Edward just HAS to come back and be all nice and sweet and okay with Bella being in love with someone else. That annoyed me a lot. And Jake’s immaturity annoyed me even more. Eclipse was passable. The newborn vampires were a bit of surprise, not a big one, but a surprise nonetheless. I hated Jake in that book. I really did. The way he pretended like he was going to kill himself made me want to kill him. And Edward’s calm indifference angered me too. Breaking Dawn. What can I say? I’ve read fanfiction better than it. It was clichéd and so fake. I liked Renesmee, but, like I said, cliché and fake. It was so predictable. AND THE ENDING SUCKED. That’s just my opinion. There should have been a fight and someone should have died *cough*Edward*cough*.

That was a summary of my feelings on the books. Now onto some deeper stuff. Twilight very subtly degrades women. BELLA DEGRADES WOMEN. She always needs a guy there, either Edward or Jacob. She clumsy and gets hurt a lot, she needs to be saved. I guess you could say I grew up a bit between 7th grade and 9th grade and I really saw this. It really made me think about what the Twilight books really signified. The grammar in the book was pretty horrible too. My English teacher used it to show what NOT to do. That’s how bad it was. That was my first real push into not loving Twilight. I suddenly saw, wow, its not perfect like I thought. Then I saw how unperfect the theme was and how unperfect it just overall was.

This article has a lot of hating, it’s true. I’m not a fan anymore, but if you are a fan and you are reading this, I’m super sorry if I offended you in any way. When I was a fan, hearing all this bad stuff about Twilight would have offended me a lot. Let’s face it, we all want our Edwards and our Jacobs right? I certainly do :)

Luckystar78 said...
I am in total agreement with this article. Twilight is silly and idealistic, New Moon is plain ridiculous, with helpless Bella throwing herself off a cliff and turning into a zombie. Eclipse is all about Edward's sick control over Bella - how can anyone see that as love? Keeping her trapped is a total, jealous obsession. And Bella is so blind, honestly. I'm not just saying this as someone who hasn't read the books - I have and as the series went on, it just got worse. What a role mod... (more »)

HeWhoDrawsandPlayGames said...
I agree about your opinion on Bella. I think she's desperate to be with Edward, even going as far as hopping off of a cliff to get his attention. I also heard of the movies, and they had a rather lackluster response. The speciall effects are bad and the acting is horrible, especially Bella. Great article, though.

Heyxx said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:26 am:
Twlight sucks. It annoys me how Bella goes from loving Edward in the first movie then in the secound she is all over Jacob. :/ But thats just my opinion, I prefer being apart of the PotterHead family :)

Jessica330 said...
I definitely understand what you mean. At the moment I happen to be a Twilight fan after being antagonistic about the whole idea for a good three years. After reading the books, I could relate to them easily and wanted what Bella had. But its easy to get caught up in a fantasy that can't and doesn't happen in real life. I agree with you on the plot as well and definitely agree that Breaking Dawn wasn't very good. I remember when I was reading it thinking that it reminded me a lot of fanfiction w... (more »)

Big D said...
i agree twilight sucks and the vampires in that movie my god whats the deal a vampire should not be a vegitarian it should be eating and sucking people blood and they shouldnt be not eating people

booklover/writer said...
I HATE Twighlight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hollyhottell replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm :
why? r u a feminest? im a women and i dont see how its degrading. tons of women love a knite in shining armor. y is it so bad that edward saves bella when she needs help.....

SharpieChance replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm :

She needs help getting a can of soup out of the pantry it seems like. In twilight she was all  "oh, I am going to go die because I want my superawesome vampire boyfriend to beat James up cause it's their fault they wont change me and vampires wont want me cause they taunt the others with me and kill them for being vampires."

When Edward left she was a brat.

when he came back and she was deciding edward or jacob, she was being whiney, a brat, and just annoy... (more »)

hollyhottell said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm:
im a girl and i did'nt see how it was sexist at all. i love twilight. i thought it had a awesome story line and i hope more movies come out because i will so be the first in line.

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 31, 2010 at 8:16 am :
people get offended by the fact that whenever Bella's in trouble Edward is there to save her. I find nothing wrong with that, but feminists do. :/

ImperfectlyBeautifulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:52 am :
It's degrading to women because Bella CONSTANTLY needs a man, which is completely unrealisitic. Not to mention that Edward is a stalker and is mentally abusive. He doesn't let her see her family and friends, and literally traps her in the third book. It's also an unrealistic relationship between the two because Bella can't find anything WRONG with Edward. She's blinded by his "perfection" and refuses to see what he really is. An abusive, controlling person. Yet Edward can find fault in her.... (more »)

kklem15 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm:
I hate Twilight because it's completely sexist and degrading to women. I'm a Harry Potter fan all the way. Wizards FTW.

KatrinaRiddle replied...
Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm :
I created an account just to say: I love you. Are you on myHogwarts?I can friend you...

$Hailzzzz$ said...
I love the twilight series but i get where your coming from like jake is annoying and you know its predictable buti do like the series

Fiftiesgal467 B. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What I don't get is how some people can compare Harry Potter to Twilight!? Harry Potter is a true masterpiece, a classic vs. Twilight, a badly written book with good romance

Sandraaaa said...
um, are to directing this commet to me? because i'm not judging anyone, just stating my opinion. i have friends who are obsessed with Twilight, and i'm perfecting fine with it. And about reading with an imagination, that's the ONLY kind of reading i do. So much, that my parents are forcing me to read with my brain for the first time in my life.

cutiethetutie said...
i love twilight, it doesnt have to be real. of course some of the stuff in the books wont happen or the movie, but u can still love it even if it wont happen for real.

songofthenight said...
I agree with the author mostly. I used to be a Twilight fan when there was just it and New Moon was just coming out, and I still kind of like it, but the end was really weak and there really are no Edwards out there. And yes, Bella is a disgrace to all women. But it's still a good read when there's nothing better to do, and has a unique plot.

hbeats4u2 said...
Of course I am a twilight fanatic. I have read all the books and own the movies. (well twilight, for now.) I think the movies could've been more rounded but............

TheRaisinBranLover said...
Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:38 am:
i hate twilight but w/e sum ppl r like in luv w/ it its stupid...