My Ex-Teen Icon | Teen Ink

My Ex-Teen Icon MAG

By Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois

"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

Hey, my name is Margaret. I'm 15 and considering becoming a journalist. When I mentioned this to my dad, he encouraged me to practice writing, as I have obviously done so. My work is nothing great, but I hope you like it. I know it has too much teenage attitude to be published as news, but your site sounds very open to all types of writing, so I hope you'll appreciate my work for its own personality. However, if not, I completely understand. I'll just keep practicing.
The work I have pasted here is simply my own thoughts after having come across a cereal box endorsed by Hannah Montana.
Enjoy!

on Nov. 18 2022 at 11:04 am
ilovetaylorswift, York, Pennsylvania
U smell

on Nov. 16 2022 at 11:01 am
LindseyLohansbff, York, Pennsylvania
Girl you just mad they rich and living their lives and you aint like them stay jealous xox!!

honeybeesanddelight BRONZE, Stayton, Oregon
Disney is a very suppressing company. She's not your role model? Fine. But just let her live her life, and you can live yours. She isn't perfect. She's allowed to be as wild as she wants if she isn't hurting anyone. This is very small-minded and judgmental.

on Nov. 22 2020 at 8:39 am
Jsmithh008 BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
1 article 1 photo 1 comment
Testtt

on Jun. 8 2013 at 7:21 am
LittleDreamer BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
Lol. I used to be the biggest HM fan ever and I never get sad over how she is now because she introduced me to music and composing songs - which helped me through hard times. I think people overreact a lot to her transforming from a good teen icon to someone totally different. She just grew up, matured and began making different music. Yes, she has made some mistakes in life but hey, don't we all change and make mistakes in life? It's not something we can do about it.

on May. 6 2013 at 10:05 am
JoselynWrites BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

"I am who I am."

I think your expectations are very high. Personally, I don't care for Miley Cyrus. But you can't blame someone for growing up and being who they want to be. No one should expect her to be a role model; that's up to her. You're asking her not to do human things, make mistakes. We should not ask her to be fake to act the way we would be pleased. 

on Mar. 24 2013 at 8:03 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I loved miley before, but now she's all pretending to grow up and all, people change. Guess we'll just have to accept that!

on Jun. 14 2012 at 1:11 am
i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

why in the world would you say this is nothing great? this is wonderful and i agree completely with this piece! i hope you keep writing and realize how good you are:)

izzy. said...
i've never liked hanna montana; but that was the reason she wears a wig what dose that tell children; that wearing a wig and pretending to be someone your not is a good thing!

MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
How I feel about this situations sometimes.

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

*thoroughly

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

I really think that you should think more highly of yourself, because this piece reflects tremendous writing potential. As long as you know that which type of style and tone you use depends on the topic, then you don't need to worry about having that teenage flare. The tone was perfect for this topic and I thoroughy enjoyed reading, even though it may have been short.

irishlass317 said...
irishlass317, Jefferson City, Missouri

"I asked Jesus 'How much do you love me?' He answered 'This much.' And He streched out His arms and died."

I agree with you about miley. she has great potential, and i am sad that she wasted it. You would be an amazing journalist!!!! Keep writing!! I think you could be even more amazing than you already are!!!!!!

Hobbles SILVER said...
Hobbles SILVER, Merritt, Other

Either you love bacon or your wrong!----unknown

I agree with you . This article is great. the writers' feeling is there, the writer is obviously sincere abuot this and I admire said person for that, but more importantly the writer is right!.....

Your right,  Miley Cyrus is a clown.... so many little girls looked up to her and now can't understand why noone likes her. It's gross and unacceptible. What she's done is just sad.

on Nov. 4 2011 at 8:10 am
star2brite SILVER, Amherst, New Hampshire

"A bad book is as much of a labor to write as a good one, it comes as sincerely from the author's soul."--Aldous Huxley

You said your work is "nothing great" but I beg to disagree! This article is funny and reflective with great voice. You don't need disclaimers, keep writing! :)

tr3bl3grrl SILVER, Lincoln, Nebraska

"Fascinating. I am being possessed by unspeakable evil." --Tweek, Avalon #7
OR... "THE HUNKY-DORY THING ZAPPED ME!!" --Trunko, Ugly Doll Show.

This was great! Hannah Montana has grown into something similar to Ronald McDonald--a clown who only wants to make money.

Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

I agree with you completely. This article is awesome, but people do make mistakes. No need to be so harsh.

BlueBubbles95 BRONZE, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
I loved the article, it speaks the truth about miley cyrus!

ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island

Maybe now, you wouldn't take the opportunity, because you're older and mature, but what about when you were much younger? Ask almost any young child if they want to act and sing on their own Disney show, and they won't decline.

Also, performing is her passion. Would you turn down an opportunity to pursue you're passion?

Sorry, I'm feeling very debate-y tonight.

I think this article was really good! Very nicely written and you had good supporting arguments, so when I say this, just know it has nothing to do with your article; I disagree. Yes, it's really dumb for Miley to take nudes and whatnot, but you have to look at things in her perspective. She was treated like a child for so long, I think she may have done it to feel older. She had her reasons, whether it was right or wrong. Many people, especially teenagers make mistakes. Just because you didn't make the same mistakes, does not make you any better.

As for the fact that you think she should "put down the wig" and be a role model...many adult actors who have played in children's movies do horrible things on the side. They are into heavy drogs, they are addicted to alcohol, they take nudes, they star in crude films, etc. Should they stop taking roles in any family film because of the other part of their life?

Again, the article was very well written, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I respect your opinion, it's what you believe, but I just disagree.