My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 7:21 am
Lol. I used to be the biggest HM fan ever and I never get sad over how she is now because she introduced me to music and composing songs - which helped me through hard times. I think people overreact a lot to her transforming from a good teen icon to someone totally different. She just grew up, matured and began making different music. Yes, she has made some mistakes in life but hey, don't we all change and make mistakes in life? It's not something we can do about it.

JoselynWrites said...
May 6, 2013 at 10:05 am
I think your expectations are very high. Personally, I don't care for Miley Cyrus. But you can't blame someone for growing up and being who they want to be. No one should expect her to be a role model; that's up to her. You're asking her not to do human things, make mistakes. We should not ask her to be fake to act the way we would be pleased. 

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:11 am
why in the world would you say this is nothing great? this is wonderful and i agree completely with this piece! i hope you keep writing and realize how good you are:)

royalujjwa4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:03 am
I loved miley before, but now she's all pretending to grow up and all, people change. Guess we'll just have to accept that!

izzy. said...
i've never liked hanna montana; but that was the reason she wears a wig what dose that tell children; that wearing a wig and pretending to be someone your not is a good thing!

kairi.kaylynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
How I feel about this situations sometimes.

swcricket98 said...
I really think that you should think more highly of yourself, because this piece reflects tremendous writing potential. As long as you know that which type of style and tone you use depends on the topic, then you don't need to worry about having that teenage flare. The tone was perfect for this topic and I thoroughy enjoyed reading, even though it may have been short.

swcricket98 replied...
*thoroughly

irishlass317 said...
I agree with you about miley. she has great potential, and i am sad that she wasted it. You would be an amazing journalist!!!! Keep writing!! I think you could be even more amazing than you already are!!!!!!

star2brite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 8:10 am
You said your work is "nothing great" but I beg to disagree! This article is funny and reflective with great voice. You don't need disclaimers, keep writing! :)

tr3bl3grrl said...
This was great! Hannah Montana has grown into something similar to Ronald McDonald--a clown who only wants to make money.

SmellyMichelly replied...

I agree with you . This article is great. the writers' feeling is there, the writer is obviously sincere abuot this and I admire said person for that, but more importantly the writer is right!.....

Your right,  Miley Cyrus is a clown.... so many little girls looked up to her and now can't understand why noone likes her. It's gross and unacceptible. What she's done is just sad.

BlueBubbles95 said...
I loved the article, it speaks the truth about miley cyrus!

ohheyyyelli said...

I think this article was really good! Very nicely written and you had good supporting arguments, so when I say this, just know it has nothing to do with your article; I disagree. Yes, it's really dumb for Miley to take nudes and whatnot, but you have to look at things in her perspective. She was treated like a child for so long, I think she may have done it to feel older. She had her reasons, whether it was right or wrong. Many people, especially teenagers make mistakes. Just because you didn... (more »)

Lola_Black replied...
I agree with you completely. This article is awesome, but people do make mistakes. No need to be so harsh.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 7:32 am
I completely and utterly share your exact opinion. Wow. Nice article! This was spectacularly written! :)

Alon_Freevoice said...
This article is so true. About Miley, I think she became what she became because of pressure. Being a celebrity is a tough job. Maybe that's the reason why celebrities start from good to bad, or bad to bad. :(

Good job with you article though. :)

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ugh! I could not agree with you more!! The way celebrities become the means of propaganda and advertisements makes me want to scream, "Is there ANYONE in this world who is REAL???" And your writing is very good, too by the way! You could definitely be a journalist; if not news, definitely opinion or feature! Keep at it--you totally have potential! :)

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Could you also take a look at my article "Lost Education?"? I'd love to have your feedback on it!

hanny81292 said...
i think thats great! but as a child im sure your inhibitions werent set as high as they are now, which is what miley was when she recieved the opprotunity, a child. my point is to be a star might not be everyones dreams, but we ALL have moments of selfishness where we want to do something for ourselves and not consider the consequence