The Dangers of Drunk Driving | Teen Ink

The Dangers of Drunk Driving

By maryyclement BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana
maryyclement BRONZE, River Ridge, Louisiana

Drunk driving is one of the top five reasons that people get in accidents. Alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream and when there is too water absorbed, it can end up blocking the oxygen to get to the brain. This causes the person to have later reactions and they will experience the symptoms of being light headed or having a concussion. If cars are quickly coming towards a drunk driver, they will not be able to comprehend the seriousness of the situation that they are in, and they will not be able to react well. People who are caught drinking and driving should have their license suspended for a year because they are threatening themselves and others and they are not being mindful of their decision.

Drunk driving is a serious offense and people who are caught drunk driving should have their license suspended for a year because they are threatening themselves and the lives of others. While drunk, one’s reaction are slowed so the drunk person is not able to react quickly in dangerous situations. If a car is speeding towards the drunk person, they will most likely not be able to realize that they are about to get hit until it is too late to do anything. Not being able to have regular reactions is risking the life of oneself and throwing everything away just because of one bad decision. Although getting drunk does not have to be bad, getting into a car can change everything. Having a few drinks and deciding that it is okay to drive is not something that should be going through people’s minds, but because of modern culture, drunk driving is becoming more and more common. Most people who are drunk are not thinking of their future or their past, they are thinking in the moment, and that is the wrong mindset to be in. Having one’s license taken away for a year is reasonable because they are threatening the lives of themselves and others.

To understand why one’s license should be suspended for one year after caught drunk driving, one must know that a drunk person is not being mindful of their decision to get behind the wheel. Getting into a car drunk, one knows that he or she is drunk, yet he or she continues to get into the car and does not acknowledge the fact that he or she is drunk. Being drunk messes with the brain making reactions much later than they would normally be. Many drunk people choose to get into a car thinking that they are fine because their conscience messes with their brain so they underestimate how drunk they really are. Moreover, the drunk person is not fully analyzing the results that could come from drinking and driving. Being drunk means that reactions are slowed down and it is harder to fully comprehend how much damage could happen to not only the drunk driver, but everyone else involved in the situation. Being mindful of making decisions that will impact one’s entire future is what differentiates the smart drunk drivers from the dull drunk drivers, and this will effect whether or not the license gets taken away.

Many may think that getting their license taken away for a year is bad because they are not able to drive themselves places which could disrupt their daily lifestyle. This punishment could be dramatic but these actions are the steps that need to be taken to have a safer world to live in. This punishment is not as bad as some may think. A year goes by very quickly even though it may not seem like it and worse punishments could be afflicted onto the drunk driver. Being put in jail or being fined is a much worse punishment because then it would be impossible to be anywhere at all if in jail, or if one were to be fined, they would not be able to pay the car bill to even drive at all in some situations. It is vital to understand the reasoning behind having the license taken away for a year.

Drunk drivers are threatening themselves and others, and they are not being mindful of their decision so their license should be suspended for a year so they can reflect on the life-threatening decision that person has made. Driving while intoxicated is dangerous because the driver’s reactions are slowed and they are refusing to acknowledge the fact that they are disabled and cannot drive. Furthermore, the intoxicated person needs to understand that they are drunk and let someone else drive. It can be dramatic to have the license suspended for a year but it is to keep everyone safe from harm. To be more aware of this issue, during Driver’s Ed, students will be taught about how the dangers of drinking and driving and how they will lose their license for one year if caught.