Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

May 24, 2016
By Anonymous

Marijuana is like people they have advantages and disadvantages and legalizing it has advantages and disadvantages. What I am trying to get to is should we legalize marijuana? Some people say yes but some say no we shouldn’t legalize marijuana. Some of the perks to legalizing marijuana is legalizing marijuana would make $8.7 billion in federal and state tax revenue per year ("Fairchild").


AAlso according to studies, 9% of marijuana users become clinically dependant (“Budney”), which is good for the percent being that low as to it being around 70% or higher. Marijuana has been legal for personal use in Aalaska since 1975 and still is to this day (”Wikipedia”). That means that marijuana has been legal in Alaska for 41 years which is great for people who like to use marijuana. There areis also disadvantages to marijuana and stuff to hurt its reputation, like that California was the first state ever in the U.S. to ban marijuana which was banned a century ago (“Bronner”).


This time we are going to start with the disadvantages so you can soak up all of the information. A sentence of life in prison without parole was given to a man trying to sell $10 worth of marijuana to an undercover officer in the U.S. ("Sentenced to a Slow Death"). I honestly think that that was a pretty harsh sentence for $10 worth of marijuana. The U.S. government’s “Official Expert” on marijuana from 1938 to 1962 testified in court saying that he smoked marijuana and it turned him into a bat (“History of the Marijuana Gateway Myth”).


The most amazing thing about marijuana that you will ever know is that marijuana-derived medications freezes cancer cells and stops them from spreading (“Wilkey”), which is pretty awesome because people with cancer can stop it from spreading if they are first diagnosed. George Washington grew marijuana on his farm (“Wikipedia”), which is an amazing fact because who knew that one our founding fathers grew something like Opinions Abound on Medical Marijuana"). I think that this person had been that?.  Did you know that in 1937 was the first arrest for possessing and selling marijuana in Denver, Colorado ("Marijuana Tax Act of 1937”).


Another interesting fact is  medicinal marijuana is kosher (or legitimate) in some cases in Judaism ("From Reform to Orthodox, Jewish growing marijuana because 789 grams of 2700 year old marijuana was found in a Cchinese tomb in 2008 ("2,700-year-old Marijuana Found in Chinese Tomb | Toronto Star"). Lastly, did you know that Uruguay was the first country to make it legal to grow, sell, and consume marijuana? (“BBC News”).? But as you can see, there areis benefitperks and disadvantages to legalizing marijuana. The real question to all of this is which side would you choose?