Drug Addiction: Is It a Choice? | Teen Ink

Drug Addiction: Is It a Choice?

February 11, 2016
By Anonymous

Although drug users choose to try the drug the first time, a long time drug addiction can cause mental and physical brain damage and psychological dependence, because the damage that is caused mentally and physically can cause long time recovery that spans over a lifetime. Through recovery comes triggers and the likelihood of relapse. The job as an addict is to crush those odds and make sure they are making the smart choices to avoid these problems and future health problems. Most drug users use drugs to cover up or fill a empty space so they don't have to face life's problems. Addicts continue to use because they don't want to face the aftermath which is detox and other problems that would come up; maybe problems within the family ("Drug use, abuse, and dependence”). Without help all they will do is spiral out of control physically and mentally. This could include depression, self harm, contemplation of suicide and the feelings of being unaccepted by family and friends or being an outcast. Many horrific things come with using drugs and to say addicts want this life is a crazy accusation. They are human; they are people just like us and our family and friends need us to help them overcome this disease. When we push them down and try to forget about them because we don’t want to own up to our part in this drug addiction. Family and friends need to come together to help solve the “real” problem behind the addiction (Leshner, Pg.7).


I believe that drug addiction is a disease not a choice. In the article “Drug Abuse” it states that, “The impact of drug abuse on society is made worse because many drugs can become addictive over time, causing physical and psychological dependence.  Addiction has far-reaching consequences: it is not only self destructive but also hazardous to the health and safety of others.” Also this article states that, “Positive reinforcing, meaning this makes the person want to use drugs and it brings pleasure to any person who is in a normal state of mind, but drugs that provide relief from pain and other unpleasant feelings produce negative reinforcement.” Finally it says, “Certain drugs stimulate an area of the brain called the limbic system, which gives a pleasurable feeling or ’reward’ when a person does something that is necessary for survival, such as eating.” This shows that drug addiction is not a choice due to the fact that the limbic system is affected and that drug addiction can cause physical and psychological dependence, causing your body to need it to function properly. These facts give strong examples on why drug addiction is a disease not just a selfish act. This is important because so many people say drug addiction is a choice but with these studies it shows that it does become a mental disease.


To have a successful recovery you need support and guidance. In the article “Recovery From Drug Addiction” it says, “A successful treatment plan for drug addiction puts different types of support together in a way that works for each person's particular situation. When relapse happens, it's time to step back and adjust the plan, which can be constructed from many different types of support.” Through recovery these things are important especially when it comes to staying clean and sober because without this treatment you could dig a deeper hole mentally and physically that you may not come back from. Other things that will help the addict stay sober and clean is to be safe, try to avoid triggers (Trigger- things that remind you of using or places you did use, that could pull you back in), healthy and fun activities, working to complete goals, meditation and self-monitoring, recovery support groups such as AA or NA and support of family and friends. Finally treatment from mental illness or stress and physical abuse courses, if needed. These factors are important because without them recovery can be nearly impossible. With the help of friends and family recovery will be a lot easier.  Addicts should always try to surround themselves with good vibes and happiness to make you think less about drugs. In this process happy and healthy are ideal in making sure the addict has a successful recovery.
Relapse happens because it is a disease and the wiring in your brain can be altered so that which the person is now dependent. In the article,“Recovery From Addiction” it states that, “ Relapse happens because drugs change the wiring in a person’s brain. Once addicted, a person is at high risk of using drugs when triggered. Like patients with other chronic diseases such as asthma and diabetes, patients with drug addiction must learn to carefully manage their condition to avoid relapse.” What are Triggers? “Triggers are situations such as stress, people, smells and even songs that remind someone of using drugs. These cause the brain to release the chemical dopamine, which signals pleasure and creates intense drug cravings” (“Recovery From Addiction”).  It is very important for a addict to know what triggers are so they can avoid any contact with things that might trigger you and make you relapse. To stay clean and sober good help and a plan that works for you will insure and healthy and happy recovery.


In all of the articles I read, it always stated that drugs affect the brain and it becomes a horrible disease over time. Physical and psychological dependence is the number one thing that needs to be know, showing that drugs and alcohol can change your brain wiring causing poor judgment, release of dopamine causing a good feeling and a yearn for that feeling again. The release of dopamine can hook the user and cause them to want to continue using, that's what drugs do! So in conclusion to say drug addiction is a choice is no longer valid. To many articles and speeches about drug addiction say that it becomes a mental disease and can physically alter your brain. To say that's a choice is foolish. The drugs take over and that becomes the thing you need to “survive” and not start detoxing, which no one wants to go through. To start helping this disease law enforcement needs to care about the person not the drug. Also a new program needs to be around so people can get treatment easier and less expensive for the person going in, because it is part of the reason people don't get help. Without everyone’s help drug addiction will continue to grow and be the “easy” outlet to little and huge problems depending on the person. So take a stand and help your family friend or even acquaintance get the real help they need. I helped and now my mom has been clean and sober almost 1 year thanks to my family and close friend’s support and understanding this horrific disease was conquered and my mom came out stronger, happier and very healthy. I am very thankful and grateful to have my mom back.

 

 

 

Harding 5
Works Cited

"Drug Abuse." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2014. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 20 Oct. 2015

"Drug use, abuse, and dependence." Alcohol, Tobacco, and Illicit Drugs. Sandra  M.Alters.        2009 ed. Detroit: Gale, 2010. Information Plus Reference Series. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 16 Oct. 2015.
Leshner, Alan I. "Drug Addiction Is a Disease." Drug Abuse. Ed. Roman Espejo. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2002. Current Controversies. Rpt. from "Addiction Is a Brain Disease, and It Matters." Science (3 Oct. 1997). Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 19 Oct. 2015.
"Recovery from drug addiction: science helps us understand the challenges of drug addiction and staying off drugs." Junior Scholastic/Current Events 23 Feb. 2015: 22 . Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 20 Oct. 2015.


 


The author's comments:

This piece hit home because I grew up with both my parent being addicted to hard drugs. But as I grew I started getting interested in how the brain works and how it can affect common thinking so this is why I decided to write this piece.