Why Marijuana Should Not be Legalized | Teen Ink

Why Marijuana Should Not be Legalized

By Katie_vball BRONZE, Idaho Falls, Idaho
Katie_vball BRONZE, Idaho Falls, Idaho

“Because I was already a smoker, it was easy to get addicted. The one thing that they don't teach you about marijuana is how addictive it is. (Merle Haggard)” These days, people refer to marijuana as medicine. The same people also say that marijuana isn’t as dangerous or harmful as other drugs. Although these things may be somewhat correct, marijuana should not be legalized in the United States. Other drugs such as meth and crocodile may show more harmful effects than marijuana, but marijuana is still a risky drug and should be carefully avoided. Some scientifically proven reasons why this drug should not be legalized are because it damages your health and endangers those who are around you.

Marijuana falls under the harmful drug category, meaning that it will have some negative effects on those who smoke it. Nowadays, when people buy marijuana, it is usually laced with some other type of drug, causing people’s health to decrease more than it normally would if it were only marijuana. Studies show that people who regularly smoke marijuana will have a worse memory and lower IQ. Same studies also show that marijuana will effect someone’s problem solving skills and judgment. By smoking marijuana, people’s chances of receiving cancer and respiratory illnesses increase. So when someone claims that marijuana is “good for your health”, saying that they’ve never experienced any problems with it, don’t believe them. Saying no to drug dealers is always the smartest choice.

Not only will smoking marijuana have an effect on your health, but it will also threaten the lives of those who are around you. When someone has marijuana running through their system while driving, their chances of getting in an accident nearly doubles. In a study, twenty-five percent of seriously injured drivers tested positive for marijuana use. “Five years after establishing a “medical” marijuana program, California saw a near 100% increase in fatal crashes where at-fault drivers tested positive for marijuana.” (Highway #5) Also, while taking marijuana, people are not usually in their right state of mind, increasing their chances of lashing out and hurting someone for no reason. By avoiding marijuana, injury rates will decrease.

As a community, we should be fighting together to stop the legalization of marijuana. The only occasion where marijuana should ever be okay is if prescribed by a doctor. Damaged health and public safety are only two small reasons as to why marijuana should not be legalized. There are at least a dozen more reasons as to why it shouldn’t. In some cases, by taking in the substance, people are being killed. Why should we be allowing people to harm themselves and others because of one small drug?

Health Class